1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Pressure Debate

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by imported_migzy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. imported_migzy

imported_migzy Guest

[Apr 14, 2005]
    Hello,

No it's probably been done before,

But what tyre presures are you using front and back for evey day use on your 3.2 with 17's.

Comments please.

Cheers

Migzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. brandona4

brandona4 Member

[Apr 14, 2005]
    600 psi all round... it makes the car bounce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  4. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Apr 14, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hello,

No it's probably been done before,

But what tyre presures are you using front and back for evey day use on your 3.2 with 17's.

Comments please.

Cheers

Migzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Migzy, please see my other post to give you an idea of what you may wish to try.
  5. imported_migzy

imported_migzy Guest

[Apr 14, 2005]
    i'll have a look dude

cheers

migzy
  6. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Apr 14, 2005]
    34psi alround but thats an a6 :p
  7. Rankrotten

Rankrotten Member

[Apr 15, 2005]
    2 days after taking delivery of a new 3.2 I noticed a six-inch nail in the tread block on the nearside rear. Aaaargh !!! Unrepairable as it was right next to the shoulder of the sidewall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I've been running around on the skinny spacesaver spare until the tyre shop gets in the requisite P Zero Rosso tomorrow morning.
  8. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

[Apr 15, 2005]
    I'll have to check, but iirc I last set the pressures at 2.2bar front and 2.4bar rear.

After 6900 km (4312 miles), my fronts are SHOT. Funny thing is the inside shoulder of each front tire is more worn than the outside shoulder (!!!).

So that has me thinking I may have slight front toe-out, which would explain the high-speed dartiness and transverse-wind sensitivity...

BTW, they're Continental Sport-Contact 2s, 225/45/17 on five-spoke alloys.

I'll check my pressures again, but I tried equal fr-rr, then more fr than rr, then less fr than rr (front as per recommendations, rear a little more) and that's what I like best...
  9. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Apr 15, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'll have to check, but iirc I last set the pressures at 2.2bar front and 2.4bar rear.

After 6900 km (4312 miles), my fronts are SHOT. Funny thing is the inside shoulder of each front tire is more worn than the outside shoulder (!!!).

So that has me thinking I may have slight front toe-out, which would explain the high-speed dartiness and transverse-wind sensitivity...

BTW, they're Continental Sport-Contact 2s, 225/45/17 on five-spoke alloys.

I'll check my pressures again, but I tried equal fr-rr, then more fr than rr, then less fr than rr (front as per recommendations, rear a little more) and that's what I like best...

[/ QUOTE ]

jamieben,

Surprised that you experience transverse wind sensitivity, as the electromechanical steering setup is supposed to automatically adjust weighting to reduce this. And it works very well on mine. I agree about the higher rear pressures though, really helps the cars balance and heavily reduces understeer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've only just adopted these tyre pressures though so can't really comment on tyre wear.
  10. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

[Apr 15, 2005]
    Japper, I was surprised at the high-speed lateral wind sensitivity! I had read about the steering having been designed to counteract outside forces, be they torque steer or sidewinds (I think it's in the rack & pinion design, and more specifically in the slope of the convoluted teeth)... Maybe I have a slight alignement problem? We'll see...

Discard what I said above: it isn't 2.2 fr and 2.4 rr but 3.0 fr and 3.2 rr.

Might go with 3.2 fr and 3.4 rr as the shoulders are still suffering (which in the case of the no-camber-gain McPherson strut front suspension, is a given no matter what you do...)
  11. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Apr 15, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Japper, I was surprised at the high-speed lateral wind sensitivity! I had read about the steering having been designed to counteract outside forces, be they torque steer or sidewinds (I think it's in the rack & pinion design, and more specifically in the slope of the convoluted teeth)... Maybe I have a slight alignement problem? We'll see...

Discard what I said above: it isn't 2.2 fr and 2.4 rr but 3.0 fr and 3.2 rr.

Might go with 3.2 fr and 3.4 rr as the shoulders are still suffering (which in the case of the no-camber-gain McPherson strut front suspension, is a given no matter what you do...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohly cripes, your running 43/44psi front and 46/47psi rear and they're not bald in the middle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
  12. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

[Apr 15, 2005]
    Nope, more tread in the middle than on the (almost bare) shoulders...

Recommended high-load pressure (as per label inside fuel cap) is 3.0 and 3.0...
  13. Rankrotten

Rankrotten Member

[Apr 15, 2005]
    Does 3.0 bar pressure make the car any more pitch-sensitive and harsh over bumps compared with 2.2 bar
  14. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

[Apr 16, 2005]
    Rankrotten, definitely harsher over bumps, despite my (only) 17" wheels.

What do you mean by pitch-sensitive?