Tyre noise and pressures

richard82

Reaction score
When I bought my Audi A3 8P second hand it had a full set of Federal tyres. The grip wasn't very good in them but above all the road noise was loud!

I decided to upgrade and bought some Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres 225/40 R18, the road noise dropped right off to the point that I could hear the diesel engine where previously it was just a continual load road noise. They new tyres were nice and quiet for the first couple of weeks but have now started making a lot of road noise again. I had the alignment done and still the same, it mainly appears when I go above 45.

I wondered if it was due to tyre pressure? What do others with the 225/40 R18 have the pressure at? I can't remember exactly what mine are but I set it at the "2 people & 1 piece of luggage" pressure that is listed on the inside of the petrol flap. I don't have any other issues like vibration just the noise.

Thanks!

Try tyre pressures set them for whatever it says on filler cap, then if still bad check bearings like above said

Also check your tyres - I know they are new but tyres can twist. I had this problem in the rear tyres on my old A3. I swore the bearings were gone, had them priced up and was ready to pay when someone suggested to check the tyres.

Took the rear tyres off and the inner half was like the Himalayas!

May sound stupid but is there a way of checking the wheel bearings?

Yeah, take off your wheel, turn the hub. If you feel a flat spot or hear a roughness in the rotation then the bearings are gone. If they turn freely with no friction or noise, they are fine.

Had it in to be looked at today by Kwik-fit as they fitted the front tyres and it is the front wheel bearings. They are quoting £400 all in for replacing and alignment, does that sound about right? I'm now worried of driving it elsewhere to save £100 or so in case the bearings totally fail as its been noisy for a few weeks now.

My advice would be to go anywhere else other than kwik-fit, even if it is more expensive elsewhere. They can't even spell quick right! sheesh.

Mate like he said kwik fit for the majority are overpriced and ****, go on the goodgaragescheme.co.uk and find one in the area. Tell them what kwik fit said to you and get a quote, may as well do this for a couple on the site. Then ask them to make sure it is the bearings as knowing kwik fit it might be they've messed up on the tyres. I don't see why they need to do alignment either I never have on my other cars haven't done it for this one all you do is pop track rod end out you don't have to unscrew it.

Let me know how you get on!

£400? for both?

I got my front drivers side wheel bearing changed at kwik-fit in Cov for £170.
and that was about a month ago.

I did look around and the next cheapest quote was £200 from a local garage.
The part costs £116 as its the whole hub that needs replacing.
and its about 1.5 hr labour per wheel.