1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre loading number

Discussion in 'Handling' started by Shadowman, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Shadowman

Shadowman Member

I have recently got hold of some O.E S-Line 5 spoke alloys and am looking to get some 235/40 x 18 tyres and the choice looks bewildering.
    Not just makes but loadings.......I have narrowed it down to 3 types : Pirelli P Zero Rosso's / PS2's / Dunlop Sportmaxx.

The quandry is that all these tyres seem to have 91Y/95Y and 95Y XL which equates to the load the tyre can take. I currently have 17 inch 5 stars with 235/45's Dunlop 9090's and they have a load limit of 94 !!!!

I contacted Pirelli and they said that the 1.8T Quattro S-Line had Rosso's with a loading of 91Y as standard, but that seems strange if the Dunlops are 94Y.

Are there any advantages/dis-advantages of getting a tyre with a higher load rating ?

Also, all you guys with standard 1.8T Quattro S-Lines, what is the loading number on your standard fit tyres ?

Want to get this right as obviously it is a lot of money, and I keep getting conflicting advice from Tyre depots.

thanks
  2. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member