tyre help

jcb

Reaction score
have some new wheels arriving and they need boots
looking at 245/40/18's on 8.5J rims
My toss up is between:
Michelin Pilot Sports - been recommended by a friend, got 20k miles out of his, good grip, quiet etc, coming in around £170 a corner

Goodyear Eagles GSD3 - had them before, thought they were very good in the wet and dry but a bit sketchy when seriously cold in ice and snow - comes in £160 a corner

Toyo Proxe TR1 - never had them, no real personal recommendation, heard good things about them, know lots of people use them on tracks about £140-150 each.

need grip, lots of it, I like corners, its 4WD and I use it. not too worried about getting "18 months and 25k" out of them if they a very good, so long as they do 12-15k I will be happy.

have michelin Pilot's of some description on now and they are good but I don't see the huge longevity that the other Michelin model claims, mine shouldered pretty quickly but are pretty grippy.
I had Pirelli P6000's. wouldn't use them as a crash barrier on a track they were so bad, like driving on soap!

Anyone got some real experiences of the tyres above or any alternatives.
don't really want to drop £600 on a complete whim!

my brother has had the toyos and said that while the dry grip was ok, the wet grip was pretty crap compared to uniroyal rainsports (and the rainsports were better in the dry too), He and another mate has also had the Eagles and reconned they provided slightly better grip than the rainsports in dry and damp weather, In very wet weather the rainsports seemed to be able to shift the water out from under the tread better and so gripped a little more.

Any directional tyre will be rubbish in the snow, Eagles particularly because theres no
blocks running across the tyre,

I run eagles on our A4, i find them excellent, although ive never used them in snow/ice. And they are a lot quieter than the previous (cheap) tyres that were on the A4 and the continentals on my bro's S4

I think that given the climate here (you are in scotland iirc) and the tendancy for rain, the rainsports need to be given due consideration, but imo its defo between those and the Eagles.

cheers, would never have thought about rainsports

another point would be that the prices your quoting are very high

mytyres.co.uk do eagles in 245/40r18 for £115 a corner and rainsports for £135 and thats including delivery

As said before, get a price from blackcircles fully fitted then phone their recommended fitter and he'll be even cheaper. I get Goodyear F1's 225/40/18 from a local fitter for £107 a corner fitted/balanced. 245's shouldn't be much more. Never ever use a high street franchise, can't believe anyone is dumb is enough to go to kwik fit or the like, they quoted me £189 for the same tyre.

I hot goodyear f1s good tyre. and i think michelin primacys too and happy with both

mytyres cheaper than blackcircles then? my quotes were from blackcircles.
spoke to a mate at National Tyres and he said they sell Mich pilot Sports for £260!! I just laughed.

will check with the fitter I had from circles before see if he can do me a deal.

think it will be GSD's I go for. look cool too!

Traffic Cops round this way run them too and i'm sure they'll have had plenty of miles to select the best tyre!

Black Circles are £133 fully fitted so no idea where you got £160 from JCB?

I just got a really good deal from this place. Don't know much about tyres but their prices seem really competative, real quick delivery too.

http://www.camskilltyres.co.uk/

yes, mistype on my part, have a saved quote from Blackcircles at £133 each
think I am going for those, can;t justify the extra £140 for 4 michelin pilots

i could help you out on tyres mate if you havnt already got them

225/40R18 MICHLN SPORT PS2 92Y XL i could do them for 139
225/40R18 YOKOHAMA DB V550 92Y same price 139
225/40R18 TOYO PX4 92W XL these for 100
225/40R18 DUNLOP SP9000 ZR MFS these for 130
225/40R18 GDY EAGLE ASYM 92Y XL these for 120

I just got a really good deal from this place. Don't know much about tyres but their prices seem really competative, real quick delivery too.

http://www.camskilltyres.co.uk/

I got 2 225/40/18s and 2 235/50/18s from them and they were a very good price but just took a while to turn up. They were the old F1s as well directional tread.