Type of Loctite

john24susan

Reaction score
Hi All, Does anyone know what type of Loctite Audi use on the nuts and bolts, I know there are many types for different applications.
I am going to change my timing belt and tensioner and have got all the torqes for the new nuts and bolts but need the loctite to lock them into place once they are torqed.
Many thanks. john.
:blackrs4:

If you torque them up correctly they won't need any loctite, I wouldn't bother using any.

So why would Audi loctite them if it's unnecessary?

You will probably find that they arent loctited from new. Your wheels nuts dont have loctite and they dont come undone they aren't even done up that tight really. Loctite has its uses but using it on the bolts when doing a cam belt is over doing it really. You may well find that Audi use anti seize compound on certain bolts that suffer alot of heat stress on the engine and exhaust but i doubt they use much loctite.

Ah right. I assumed loctite must have been identified on disassembly. It would seem logical in those circumstances to re-use it.

Ok, some people will use loctite and others will not. I am only following the Audi manual which states a locking compount should be used. I for one will use some type of locking compound, as the nuts and bolts used in the timing belt location may suffer from vibration and heat and I for one will not take the chance that something will come loose as It would wipe out my engine and cost me a lot more than a bottle of loctite !

270 is what you want if your going to use it. What manual are you using out of interest?

Hi, Thanks for the loctite number ,I have various types and numbers for different aplications, I have this type in the garage and will use this to do the timing belt job. This will put my mind at ease.
The manuals are cd discs that I got from E bay (ELSAWIN , the same as Audi use !
Many thanks again John.
:blackrs4: