1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Piece Xenon

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mike_plymouth, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

Hello all, i am looking at upgrading my 2 piece headlights (headlight and indicator being seperate units) off my 97 a3 to the 2 piece xenons. will i have to modify anything or will they be a direct swap? many thanks if anyone knows the answer.
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

they have an auto levelling system which makes them also line up the lense properly & holds the lense in place, this has to be powered realistically to make them valid for mot's, its not that straight forward, not impossible though, can be done but done properly IMHO
  3. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

so that self leveling for the headlights, do they need sensors or anything for these to work or is it all built into the headlight itself?
  4. NHN

the levelling system has a sensor on the rear axle one side & front axle one side, these sensors then work in conjunction with the headlights to set the level of the beams based on the weight of the car at rear, front etc, you can fit these without but you'd have to wind the motors that level the lights to a position so mot & manual adjustment works fine, but tbh I'd fit the kit, but can do without
  5. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

ok, is ther much of a diff between having xenons and the normal headlights? also would a HID conversion be a better solution. thanks for all the info btw
  6. NHN

Yes alot tbh, you can do hid conversion but be warned these can cause more problems than you really want to know of, I'd always recommend HID over standards like you have now & if you're gonna do the oem upgrade then get the one piece units not the 2 piece & then you just need to trim the wing with a dremel & chnage the plugs plus also add a bracket to fix the headlight in place on the lower bolt, bumper of job realistically to do a proper job.
  7. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

would the pre facelift xenons be as good as the facelift projectors?
  8. NHN

I'd say facelift are mildly better & tbh they look a hell of alot better overall, really do mate, transforms the front of the car IMHO from when I did mine on the S3
  9. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

I'd say that the pre-face lift lights are slightly better, for actual light output that is.

My face-lift S3 lights are ok i guess but could be far better. Change the bulbs (D2S) for 5k or 6k ones before you assemble the lights and put them in the car (far easier that way), this goes for either the single or two piece headlight units. The bulbs will improve the standard setup no end. I'm about to do mine next week.

The single piece lights look better visually (to look at) although they do look crosseye'd when the Xenon's are on. Too close together. Audi should have designed the light unit better.

G
  10. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

well the reason im asking so many questions is that i can get a pair of pre facelift xenons for 75 quid posted so im pretty intrested. only thing is i dont want to buy them and need to spend loads afterwards in fitting them with things like adaptors or anything else. and i dont mind the pre facelift light shape at all. so its all about light output cuz the pair of standerds i have are about as good as a chocloate teapot
  11. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

Just make sure that you check the package comes with the ballasts and all wiring for the lights before buying them. I'd say thats a very fair price and you will NOT be dissapointed coming from halogens to xenon.