TV Option RNS-D + PS2

bitnics

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently just got my Audi and I want to make few modifications to it before I will be fully satisfied with the product.

My car has the Navi+ RNS-D head unit and I saw it had a TV option. There is one button to pick a source of your media marked "RADIO\CD\TV". When I press it, it only changes between RADIO and CD. As far as I know there is not a factory TV tuner installed in my car so I went on eBay and purchased this:

Multimedia VNS adapter RNS-D MFD Audi navi plus, Skoda DVD TV tuner

Multimedia VNS adapter RNS-D MFD Audi navi plus, Skoda DVD TV tuner | eBay

It cost me £55 to get and was pretty simple to install i.e. connect voltage, plug the cable to the back of the unit and enjoy audio/video input. The adapter did not come with any instructions apart from labels on the cables sticking out from the box. The box has a small green light I guess to show that it has power. I have connected a PlayStation 2 Slim to the inputs but the head unit has not changed it's behavior and is not acknowledging the presence of the box which supposed to make the TV option available to me.

The idea is to have the small console in there as a first step of video source to put screens in the headrests.

I can't work it out. Is there some settings in the head unit I supposed to enable?

I would be really happy if someone could give me some information on how to make this work.

Kind Regards,

Jake

I'm guessing that it will need to be enabled with vcds. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you how but I know that the head unit has to be told whats connected to it.

I retro fitted the aux input to my car and I wired it up to the connections on the back and it didn't work. I then had to go into the headunit and tell it there was a aux point installed so it switches the input on.

At a guess you have to do that with yours to tell it it's got a video sorce installed

Hi,

yes that is what I thought so. My dad is a car mechanic and has all the VAG and VCDS stuff. I won't be messing with bits and blocks myself but I will look for the set option which is unlikely to be there anyway. I hope someone will tell me as this is something I will like to have in my car and I don't want to wait anymore.

Kind Regards,

Jake

I had a look through it but would be nice if someone could confirm that there is some kind of cross compatibility.

ha ha yes ive just retrofitted rnsd and all searching led to threads saying fit rnse instead just like your other one

if youve got access to vcds i think it should just be a case of going into nav, adaptions, then channel 07 and add 4 to whatever number is already there? hopefully this will tell it to check for tv input?
will make sense when you start using vcds its pretty easy to navigate

I'm picking up RNS-d this weekend.

If any one get's any success or find any thing out, can we get a thread started and populate it with some information and none of this "Get an RNS-e" talk?

I'm currently looking in to iPod and bluetooth options, along with reversing cameras, if I get any where with them, I'll add them to the thread as well.

My AV module has an independent connection for a reverse camera which is handy and has automatic switching. So once it I get the TV input going then I will defiantly be installing the camera just to make the car more attractive as I don't really need it with the sensors anyway. Will update you guys soon. I don't have a access to VCDS right this minute but I may use Autoboss V30.

And as well I want people to stop saying get a RNS-E because that is not the solution here. I rather get a remap done for the same money. I don't see much difference between those when it comes to my use so I really can't justify it. I can go simply get it but
that is just pure greed which I am pretty good at haha.
Thanks for all the help.

Jake

IMG_1222.jpg

The adaptation itself wasn't too hard.
Huge thanks to @olds_kool for sharing the RNS-D programming guide.

The solution is to go to Module 37 - Navigation and check channel 7.

7Option Coding: (see note below) (D-Navi)0No options.
1Logbook installed.
2Multi-Function Wheel installed (CANbus based).
4TV Tuner installed. (B version)
8Voice Command Module installed.

Note that for adaption channel 7, you add these functions to come up with the number. For example if you have a TV tuner and multifunction wheel, you'd enter 6 (2+4=6). Voice recognition and Logbook would be 9 (1+8=9).

I reprogrammed it to value of 4 this way I have enabled the tuner option for the RNS-D to work with the adapter.

The second step was to reprogram the instrument cluster in module 17 - Instruments in block/channel 140.
  • Below are the codes:
    Binary ValueFunction
    1Radio
    2Telephone
    4Navigation
    8Telematics
  • You add the values together to come up with the code. Most cars need Radio and Navigation, so the correct number is 5 (1 + 4). If you have the Audi phone in your car, then the correct number would be 7 (1+2+4).

My car is equipped with 1, 2 and 4 originally but I needed Telematics so another 8. So value of 15 into channel 140 of module no. 17.

IMG 1218IMG 1217IMG 1216

Thanks to everyone who helped. I am happy to assist any coding for RNS-D when it comes to this so feel free to PM me.​

Have you got DVD input and reversing camera ? I have an rns-d angmd have bought the module for the camera and and a camera. But I also wanted to install a DVB tuner. Anyone done this before ? Is it even posssible to have both ?