1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo's dead...:(

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Chlippo, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Chlippo

Chlippo Member

[Aug 12, 2012]
    So while the car was being prepared and gettting serviced before getting a remap, the mechanic (which is my friend, works basicly on tuning evo's) noticed some oil in the pipes. So he did some testings and figured that the turbo is leaking oil and boost pressure thru the turbine shaft.

He didnt take the turbo off yet since he was waiting my confirmation about what to do (I am currently in Canada, car is in Lebanon, im Heading there tomorrow). The car holds boost till 0.8 bar but not higher than that.

On the first attempt of remap (custom map) the boost went up to 1.3 bar and then started falling off till 0.9 bar.

Not many turbo rebuilders in Lebanon, so i was trying to source here in Canada/USA a complete balanced cartridge with 2283 compressor wheel and RS6 turbine so i can get a hybrid. A company i got in touch with a while back has offered this service and at very good price, but aparently my contact left for a long vacation and they wont proceed with my order without him being back in charge.

so what to do now...a rebuilder in Lebanon wants to see the turbo first so he can give me an estimate about the cost and the effectiveness of the turbo after the rebuild.

Always happens at the wrong time, just before my vacation (in which i can drive this car), and just before the remap.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Aug 12, 2012]
    have a word with frankenturbo (based in the US), and see what they can do for you. that might be easier and cheaper for you whilst you are in canada.
  4. Chlippo

Chlippo Member

[Aug 12, 2012]
    I have already emailed doug a while back, very helpfull guy, but i donno...not really convinced of what that turbo is capable of.
    I have read on some forums that its good for max 300 bhp with an exhaust manifold (which i already have), i would like a bit more if im going anything else than stock turbo. But it is still an option
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Aug 12, 2012]
    hmmm, i only know what is advertised on the site and the video blogs on youtube they upload, seems they make good power on the golf they use to test.
    Snash7 likes this.
  6. Chlippo

Chlippo Member

[Aug 12, 2012]
    thats true but here is the specs of the Golf that have done those Dyno's

1.8t with rods AEB head
    Autotech intake cam
    Large port intake manifold
    Dual 225cc Snow Performance WMI
    3" exhaust (no cat)
    Eurodyne 440 Mafless file.
    Stock TT225 manifold
    F23 Frankenturbo
    Genesis 415cc injectors @ 4bar

There was a thread on vwvortex about the F23.

The other thing is that the turbo wheel is cast, not forged from billet, and we all know the debate about that (which spools faster, which is better...etc etc)

But i repeat Doug is very helpfull and stands behind his product and the turbo is quiet well priced too.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012