1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turborevs side mounted intercooler available again!

nick4501 Nov 11, 2010

1. nick4501

nick4501 Member

2. finesse

finesse Active Member

are these coolers larger than the S3 SMIC's?

3. nick4501

nick4501 Member

Not sure mate, you'd have to measure a standard S3 one...

4. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

These look huge compared to the S3 ones. Makes me wonder how it'd fit behind the bumper? lol

5. nick4501

nick4501 Member

Well I guess I'll find out in about a week's time!

6. DaveA3

DaveA3 Audi A-Trizzle!

what happened with this do we know? i was interested in some feedback here

7. JS1500

JS1500 Howdy

Excuse my stupidity but...

Would one of these work in place of one of the S3's (i.e one standard, one Turborevs)?
    Would there be a problem fitting it in there?
    Would there be much (any?) benefit over standard S3 SMIC setup?
    (I don't really want an FMIC you see...)

8. s3gazz

s3gazz Well-Known Member

iv got the side ones and a front mount intercooler and that runs great and notice alot of a difference so if
    i end up going for these as well shorly there would be even more of a difference in temp, power seen as
    there bigger than the standered s3 smic

9. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

Just remember that these aftremarket SMIC's will have a pre-drilled hole for the MAP sensor - don't know if the S3's SMIC's have them. You would need to fabricate something to block the port on it. They look very similar to the Eurojet SMIC's which require a little trimming to the ducting that allows airflow to it. Nothing a sharp stanley knife and a steady hand can't deal with in 60 seconds....

10. nick4501

nick4501 Member

I eventually fit it. I ran into an unforeseen problem with the MAP sensor that sits inside the hole in the SMIC. There are apparently 2 different sizes of MAP sesnor (12mm and 18mm, at a guess). Mine was the larger size and the hole in the SMIC is for the smaller (apparently more common) size. I ended up sourcing a second hand one off ebay and it worked perfectly. I've been running my car like this for about a month now and seems well!

The only down side to this is that because it's quite a lot bigger than the original, I had to remove the ducting pipe completely and it still pushes the bumper forward by a couple of cm's, but doesn't look out of place unless you're really looking for it.

I haven't got around to recording any intake temperature logs after fitting the SMIC, but I did remember to do it before fitting. As soon as I get around to doing some more logs, I'll update this thread and let you know if it was worth the hassle!