Turboback Milltek drone

anderswhk

Reaction score
So, the non-resonated Milltek is know to have a slight drone sometimes, but how bad is this drone gonna be once you go with the Milltek 200cell cat and downpipe? I mean, i love a nice sounding exaust as much as the next guy, but driving on the highway with massive droning would drive me nuts.

I know theres plenty of threads about this exaust, but its usually catback and not turboback

Anyone with a turboback milltek on a 1.8T?

I have a 3" turbo back system with a Miltek back box on my S3 and it doesn't drone at all..

<tuffty/>

S3 or A3 mate?

I have a turbo back non res system on mine and it doesn't drone AT ALL.

With a down turned tdi style miltek back box it droned like hell, but with twin 2.5'' exits there really is no drone at all.

So thats non res? How would you say the overall noise from it is, during casual driving? Im not looking to be "that ****ing guy with the obnoxiously loud A3" :))

All im looking for is a slight rumble, and a great sporty sound when i put my foot down, and im afraid the resonated is gonna be underwhelming.

S3 or A3 mate?

I have a turbo back non res system on mine and it doesn't drone AT ALL.

With a down turned tdi style miltek back box it droned like hell, but with twin 2.5'' exits there really is no drone at all.

Sorry, its an A3 with k03s and an upgrade diverter valve, mapped to 207hp, otherwise completely stock

And by "down turned tdi style" do you mean the mufffler that is kinda discreet behind the bumper, and points down towards the ground? Because thats what i have right now.

By the way thats a nice thread in your sig, good read.

Last edited:
No droning here as well on a pipewerx DP, milltek 200 cell cat, then non res milltek back, nice growl when opened up and slightly noisier than standard on a motorway, but certainly not intrusive....:icon_thumright:

No droning here as well on a pipewerx DP, milltek 200 cell cat, then non res milltek back, nice growl when opened up and slightly noisier than standard on a motorway, but certainly not intrusive....
:icon_thumright:

Sounds good. The last thing i want is passengers, or even worse, my mum, complaining about the noise when on the freeway. We all know that boyracerish type with their Civic/Corsa with a loud exausts, and im trying to not be that guy :)

And by "down turned tdi style" do you mean the mufffler that is kinda discreet behind the bumper, and points down towards the ground? Because thats what i have right now.

If you have a visable tailpipe, exiting rearwards, you shouldn't suffer from any drone at all.

On my stock exhaust, many moons ago, the system wasn't loud enough to cause any drone, and the down turned tailpipes didn't cause any issues.

I then fitted a milltek system with the discrete down turned tailpipes just like standard, and the car used to drone a little at motorway speeds.

I then lowered the car about 6 months later, and the drone got CONSIDERABLY worse. It seems that decreasing the gap between the down turned tailpipes and the ground made the booming far worse.

So much so that I cut the tailpipes off, and welded on some straight replacements, which are still there to this day.

The A3 doesn't have a bumper cut out for the exhaust, but it's easily trimmed to suit. One thing worth knowing about is that behind the plastic bumper is a thin steel valance which you need to trim slightly for a neat exhaust fit, but again, that's no big deal

If you have a visable tailpipe, exiting rearwards, you shouldn't suffer from any drone at all.

On my stock exhaust, many moons ago, the system wasn't loud enough to cause any drone, and the down turned tailpipes didn't cause any issues.

I then fitted a milltek system with the discrete down turned tailpipes just like standard, and the car used to drone a little at motorway speeds.

I then lowered the car about 6 months later, and the drone got CONSIDERABLY worse. It seems that decreasing the gap between the down turned tailpipes and the ground made the booming far worse.

So much so that I cut the tailpipes off, and welded on some straight replacements, which are still there to this day.

The A3 doesn't have a bumper cut out for the exhaust, but it's easily trimmed to suit. One thing worth knowing about is that behind the plastic bumper is a thin steel valance which you need to trim slightly for a neat exhaust fit, but again, that's no big deal

But its gonna fit no problems, even without the cutout until I can mabey get someone competent to fit it properly right? Im a "bolt on", kind of guy. Id most likely **** it up, if i have to cut plastic and so on.

Good info about the lowering, and the booming with the downward pipes, as i got the h&r cup kit on, which lowers it by 35mm.

I already did purchase the turboback system, but gonna take a little over a week to get over here.

Depends what you're after to be honest mate.....

If you buy a milltek for an A3, the tailpipes will swan neck down from the back box, and the exits will sit totally below the bumper line.

Sad truth is, they look gash, like a cheap halfords backbox, as it's hung down there on it's own, and not 'integrated' into the car.
If you're a 'bolt ons only' kind of guy, then this is possibly your only option.

if you want it to look decent, then you need to buy a milltek with your chosen tail pipe style for a mk4 golf. These cars have an identical floorpan, but do not have the small metal valance that gets in the way, and the milltek golf system fitted to an A3 sits really nicely up inside the bumper line, and you have to cut the bumper to fit it.

it's a much more complete look, but requires a bit of effort. When I say a bit, it's probably no more than 30 minutes work to cut the bumper and the valance. hardly a tough job, you can even trim the valance with tin snips and fold it back with pliers if you don't have any other tools.

Hmm, doesnt sound good. Mabey i will have to settle for a less than optimal look, mabey get a mate thats good at working with metal to help me out.

Ill bump this thread once i got it fitted in a few weeks.

Thanks for the answers and patience.

I've got a miltek resonated with 3'' dp/sports cat. No drone atall, can only just hear the difference at idle which is great but ideally I'd want a bit louder on throttle. I've still got the standard airbox tho, when i get round to that it might make the difference... If not the resonated section might be getting cut :)

It's always cheap enough to get the resonated section cut out.

i've got the resonated milltek cat back on my S3 and i think it sounds the bollokcs tbh, even more so on full chat. i'd definately recommend the resonated setup.

Last edited:
i've got the resonated milltek cat back on my S3 and i think it sounds the bollokcs tbh, even more so on full chat. i'd definately recommend the resonated setup.

What air filter are you using?

So i just received the exaust system yesterday. Would you guys belive me when i say i ordered it 25/06 and received it 10/08. Does not matter how awesome of an exaust system it is, being that slow is ridiculous. You would think they had to dig the iron out of the ground first. Gonna fit next week, probably take some time, as its a first for me, and i dont have acces to a lift.

Posting some pictures afterwards to let you know what i did with the rear lip, regarding the cutout.