Turbo wont line up with manifold

turnstyle

Reaction score
Started doing a head gasket change today.

Got everything off (audi engineers want shooting for that engine mount) and cleaned the old gasket off.....
And the thick rings of k-seal on each cylinder (thank you previous owner!)
While head was off I changed the exhaust manifold gasket - some bolts at cylinder 4 end were only finger tight so it must have been blowing.
Anyway i changed gasket, tightened it all up and put the head back on..... and now the turbo wont line up with exhaust manifold (the 3 bolts)

Its pitch black now but loosening off the turbo brackets should let me line it up again right?
At first i was ****ting bricks thinking i had bolted the head down wrong but i havent

sorry for long winded question, im just scratching my head thinking about how to sort it tomorrow
Already had a ball ache of a time pushing that cam belt tensioner back it for when it goes on - cam belt was only done 2k ago so im not changing it

silly question but have you got all the bolts still slack? as sometimes when you tighten them up the others wont go in?

silly question but have you got all the bolts still slack? as sometimes when you tighten them up the others wont go in?

On the head? - yea they are all fully tightened.... minus the rocker cover which is being painted.

oh right. yes fully tightened while head was off to save myself some effort

Ive had a glance about with a torch about 10 mins ago. I think slackening off the turbo and using some gentle pressure should allow me to line things up - i just wanted to see if there was any other method others had used.

Would have been an ideal time to fit a nice shiney new manifold and downpipe really from relentless thinking about it

sorted it. just needed to lever it all into position with a large bar. what can i say.... its been a long day haha!!!