1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Whistle.....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by happyarthur1979, Dec 5, 2007.

1. happyarthur1979

happyarthur1979 Forever going forward!

Hey guys,
    First post from a new member so please be gentle!?!?!

Just got myself a 99' T A3 1.8T with 97k and FSH, My question is should you be able to hear the turbo whistling?
    The whistle starts at about 2500rpm and is only heard with the window down.
    Is this normal? I previously had an A3 TDI and the whistle was louder on that.

Would it suggest a leak maybe? If so which hoses do I need to check?

I have Vag-com which brings up no faults, is there any way of using Vag-Com to check for leaks?

Any help would be gratefully accepted, even if its to reassure me its normal.

Also I got rid of an Alfa 147 2.0 for the A3, the Alfa also had 150bhp but felt quicker, should the A3 have a big surge when the turbo kicks in?

Thanks, Graham.
  2. A3_Turbo

A3_Turbo Swaying towards IHI....

Standard A3 1.8T is pretty gutless, Id imagine the turbo whistle is normal but it should be too loud? Check all your hoses just in case.

A Propper Remap will see you to 190-200 BHP it will feel ALOT more lively then!

Jason
  3. Sam-K

Sam-K Has a throbbing red german.

ahh i love 147's. insurance on alfas is always a bit of a bum rape for us youngsters :(
  4. happyarthur1979

Hey guys, thanks for info so far. The whistle doesn't seem to loud can anyone tell me which hoses to check? Would they be at the front or rear of the engine?

Yeah the 147 was a lovely little car although it almost drank as much oil as it did petrol!
    The nicest cabin of any car I have owned to date (and ive owned a few) but 28mpg average is not good.

Cheers.
  5. jeffers999

jeffers999 got boost

Hi and welcome mate im not too far from u either :icon_thumright:, My mate just bought an a3 1.8 t and took me for a ride in it and i could not hear any turbo whistle from it, and i seemed to go ok, so it may be that you have a pipe gone or something if it feels that gutless too ??
  6. S3 chj

S3 chj Member

wllcome...
    my turbo whistle jef i dont here it all the time, tho im am a bit deff!! i do here it in the morning 4-5 oclock with the window up or down
  7. jeffers999

jeffers999 got boost

Hey dude ya ok i didnt know there was a 4-5 o clock in the morning lol u done anything to yours yet....
  8. S3 chj

S3 chj Member

:thumbsup: starting next month with the mods jeff:thumbsup:
  9. jeffers999

jeffers999 got boost

Cool cant wait ..... keep me informed.:motz:
  10. S3 chj

S3 chj Member

NO!! because you stii havent taking me for a spin since you changed the clutch
  11. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

I wouldnt worry too much about this, tho check the hoses etc as suggested above.

I had a 2.0 156 for a few months and compared to an a3 1.8t it felt much more alive which woudl probably make it seem quicker, although they arent. A3 has more get up and go in gear because of the turbo
  12. happyarthur1979

Thanks for all the help guys,

I have listened closer and it definately sounds like a small leak, now I have no idea where to start looking!?!?!

Can anyone please point me towards which hoses/pipes to check?

Thanks in anticipation, Graham.
  13. happyarthur1979

Are there any common areas the 1.8t suffers boost leak from?
    Any particular hoses/clamps etc that are prone to failing?
    Im attempting to locate the leak tomorrow and havent a clue where to start, please someone point me in the right direction so im not completely pi$$ing in the dark.

Many Thanks, Graham.
  14. HTC

HTC Active Member

TBH, your cars sounds normal. On later cars, the metal IC at the back of the engine can leak where it joins the rubber part. O ring can fail. But yours will most likely be the earlier jubilee clip setup, which don't have this prob.

Like I say, I don't think you have a problem. Turbos are quiet on an unmapped A3.