1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo whistle on idle - SHould i be worried?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Strangely Brown, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Strangely Brown

Strangely Brown Member

[Dec 16, 2012]
    So i have had the A3 now for just over 4 weeks and painlessly covered 2.5k miles HOWEVER i have noticed a fair amount of turbo whine not Siren just a bit more whistle/whine than the other 5-6 VW's 2.0 TDi i've owned. Appreciated the car has covered nearly 90k miles so there is going to be some whistle but after 4-5 minutes of the car idling there is a slight whine/whistle that sounds like the radiator fan (in fact that is what i thought it was) and goes away if you blip the loud peddle.

As i said, i have owned 5-6 MK5 TDI Golf variants the last three have been the same engine (BKD) and this is the only one which as whined.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. smurfworth

smurfworth Well-Known Member

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Mine is like this too, sounds like a huge boost leak on idle also sounds like a supercharger at higher revs when accelerating. When turning it off and back on again it sometimes goes away. I'm just waiting for the turbo to give in.
  4. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[Dec 16, 2012]
    I've had that whine for at least 6-8 months now, maybe more. Turbo was replaced around 25k miles ago. No overboosting, loss of power, blue smoke or limp mode so just driving the car as normal.