1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Whistle.... I think

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by dieselfitter251, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dieselfitter251

dieselfitter251 Blow ma own trumpet?

[Jan 4, 2009]
    I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get a whistle or maybe a small whine under acceleration but it's definately there. It's always been there, I've only noticed it more with my window being knackered and always being down about 5mm... (window now fixed... thank god!)..
    Does anybody else get this from their oil burners? Power seems fine (nowt to compare it to) and it's only audible at low speed... Any thoughts?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

[Jan 5, 2009]
    Yeah u can usually hear diesels spool up as they do it all the time, esp these ones there on boost most of the time, it's what makes them more torquey and responsive. I've got a mk3 Astra TD as a runabout, that boosts @2.5krpm and only on full throtle but u can hear that too.
  4. fjtwelve

fjtwelve Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 5, 2009]
    My old 98 Passat 1.9TDi used to whistle quite nicely. Its when the whistle disappears you have a problem...
  5. dieselfitter251

dieselfitter251 Blow ma own trumpet?

[Jan 5, 2009]
    Cool, nice sound track to my drives then :O)
  6. FL1X

FL1X Member

[May 21, 2009]
    Just to nip in on this one my 55plate A3 had a whistling sound, i took it to the dealer and its still there apprently the turbo was blown.

The odd thing is that i had no power loss no wierd behaviour nothing, expect maybe decresed fuel econemy.

F