1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo whine??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by djcatfood, Aug 18, 2011.

1. djcatfood

djcatfood Member

[Aug 18, 2011]
    When you can feel the turbo kick in there is a whine noise??Is this normal or is it on the way??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Aug 18, 2011]
    Probably the turbo spooling mate? What sort of mileage has your car done? Could be a leaky boost pipe.
  4. djcatfood

djcatfood Member

[Aug 18, 2011]
    96K Mate wats spooling??:/ lol!
  5. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

[Aug 18, 2011]
    Spooling is where the turbo is spinning up to create boost. Has your car gone into limp mode at all?
  6. S3 MRU

S3 MRU Member

[Aug 18, 2011]
    normal till it goes pop mate :p
  7. djcatfood

djcatfood Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    No not yet! suppose thats the next stage,whats happens when it goes??It's not a loud noise faint wineing
  8. djcatfood

djcatfood Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Cheers mate!! lol!
  9. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Mine started to whine, faint at first but then gradually louder. It then started to overboost and eventually after about 4000miles went into limp home mode. Reconditioned turbo later, faint whine is still there(think this is normal although it never used to make the noise???) but driving fine.
  10. matt_hilluk

matt_hilluk facebook.com/m9tbh

[Aug 19, 2011]
    means its on its way out
  11. Minstadave

Minstadave Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    A faint whistle is normal.
  12. djcatfood

djcatfood Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Just a matter of time then!!:/ glad itook AA warranty cover!!
  13. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Whistle is normal, whine could be a sign of turbo on a way out.
    Make sure your warranty covers the turbo.
  14. TAPNET

TAPNET Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Mine does a wooo noise rather than a tish noise in 1st and 2nd then goes away any ideas?

51k 2.0 TDI 140
  15. Padtwo

Padtwo Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    A feint whistle is normal, mine is quite noticeable with the windows open. I have had several cars with turbos, think this one is number six, and they have all done it. The audi did sound a little harsh when I got it but after a service and some fresh oil sounds much better, difficult to describe but the spool up now sounds much smoother.
  16. Stink

Stink Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    well this eve i have noticed a very faint sort of whine/whistling sound but this is isn't under heavy acceleration and its before the turbo kicks in then I can just hear it spooling up, does this sound like a leaky boost pipe? not really too sure if its something to worry about only noticed it as i didn't have the stereo on
  17. Sock

Sock Shark in a Goldfishes clothing

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Mine has a whine on it, but mine is intermittent and sounds more like it's the alternator than the turbo, like a belt whine if that makes sense?
  18. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

[Aug 19, 2011]
    I noticed that after changing standard air filter to ITG panel filter.
  19. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 20, 2011]
    I think a little bit of scaremongering going on here :)

Whistle/whine is normal to an extent, however your car has done 96k, the turbo's get caked up inside with sticking internals, now thats not to say yours is at that stage or ever will be, but I would do a scan of the car, if no signs of overboosting or errors in general I wouldnt worry about it, if it bothers you that much then get it looked at, check intake pipes are all tight & in place, check system for leaks, remove turbo check internals & see if its caked or not, also check if the bearings are loose, variety of ways to deal with, but unless you notice any performance differences I wouldnt worry yourself atm.

Mine went & replaced with a hybrid, my heart sunk as I thought uh oh new engine or car scrapped, luckily (in some ways) it was just the turbo, but the oil had gone into exhaust system, so had to drain this out & then pass liquid through to get rid of any clogged up excess oil, did it all myself, was a ball breaker, but I learnt allot from it & very glad I did it tbh.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    RedDejavu and djcatfood like this.
  20. Tris Harris

Tris Harris New Member

[Aug 21, 2011]
    my tdi sounds like a police car is following me the turbo whines so much! doesnt seem to be any leakages or anything though...
  21. matt_hilluk

matt_hilluk facebook.com/m9tbh

[Aug 23, 2011]
    When mine started whining (after I had only had it 3 weeks) I sent it back to the dealership and was told I needed a new turbo. Which the garage kindly paid for. And now it doesn't make a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  22. S3 finatic

S3 finatic Limp mode

[Aug 23, 2011]
    As NHN says people are to quick to replace turbos.

When i bought my 54 plate 2.0TDI there were no whistles or whines, i gave it an oil change (with good quality recommended oil) and within 1000 miles it started to sound like a police car was following. 500 miles later it went into limp mode, this happened several times before i decided to take the turbo off and have a look. It was badly sooted up, but i could not see any wear at all. I gave it a clean with parafin and other chemicals i had laying around in the garage. It was soot free when i put it back together, i have done about 5000 miles since, it has not gone back into limp mode, and i have no loss in power.
    However! I still have a faint whistle/whine, and there has been a couple of ocassions it was quite loud that worried me.

After reading a few more posts, I then checked my vacuum hoses to my intercooler and noticed oil around the joins, so purchased replacement seals thinking that would cure the noise, but the noise was still there, and when checking the vacuum hoses again a few weeks later, i noticed they were still dispursing a small amount of oil.
    I will be replacing the hoses at some point, but in no hurry while the car is running fine.

Hope my experience can help!