1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo upgrades on 1.8T

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Soupie69uk, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Sep 14, 2004]
    Alright folks,

Was wondering if anyone has had a big turbo upgrade? If so where from and what was the cost involved. Oh yeah the important bit what was the power output!

Cheers.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. gc48067

gc48067 Member

[Sep 16, 2004]
    MTM did mine. Cost was about £3-4K. Real problems getting it set up but should be all sorted this Thursday. I expect about 240BHP. They fitted a K04.

Read the A3/S3 thread re the IHI kit before making a decision though - didn't know about that kit when I ordered mine (if it would fit the A4).

Have fun....
  4. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Sep 20, 2004]
    I have had it done by AMD cost a lot to get sorted also had a sports cat and all my suspension changed which was defo necessary because of the cornering.
    I havegot a respectablt 230 bhp...
    It is not as much as i would have liked but still very quick.
    Looking for more stuff to put on now to help increase power more so..
    Also my fuel consumption is still pretty good i am well impressed...
  5. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Sep 20, 2004]
    anyone looked at atp turbo.
  6. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Sep 20, 2004]
    i couldn't find many big turbos for the 1.8t longitudinal when i had one, for the k04 that sounds kind of steep, for what it puts out, try TSR they do viper turbos for longitudinal 1.8t's up to around 300hp i believe which should be sufficient for your need for speed for a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif though they may have advanced since i checked last..

i'm sure you'll find TSR are very good as i'm sure a lot of people other than my self have used them in the past, they used to do all the old school wth porting polishing big end 8 valves g60's, but have realised the potential of the 1.8t in their products.

7. welshdragon

welshdragon Member

[Sep 21, 2004]
    Markey, can I ask what type of boost pressure you are running with your K04? Is it running at 1.3 Bar like the chipped S3's or TT's? I must admit I am supprised that your car only got 230bhp with all your mods especially when the S3's etc with the K04 remap upto 265bhp. Does anyone actually know why the K04 doesnt make nearly as much power in the A4 than in the S3 & TT? It is down the the twin intercooler & biggers injectors? (Noting that the two K04 will be slightly different because the two engine type,transverse & longitudinal)

Correct me if i am wrong anyone but i was under the inpression that the internals (turbine/compressor) was the same just that the housing was different. Seems a big difference to me though. I am looking at getting a turbo upgrade myself next year and am wondering which option to take. Here are the three main choices as far as I can see:-

1) K04 varrient which is straight bolt on & requires ECU software update (220-240 BHP)the price is £880 ish direct from supplier with cost of software upgrade to be added.

2) E05 which is a straight bolt on & comes with larger injectors & ECU software update (240ish BHP)the price is £1300 ish.

3) Garret turbo (APR stage 3) which comes with new manifold, larger injectors, highflow cat. Unsure about whether this kit works with a 1.0 bar chip or whether it requires a ECU software upgrade (280 BHP)the price is £3000.

Just to note that none of these prices include fitting, and if anyone wants to know where I got them from just send send me a message and I will send you the link.

Has anyone tried any of these other turbo options than the K04 varrient? It seems that the K04 varient has a good pedigree with tunners and audi owners, however just not sure if I would be happy if I couldnt break at least 260bhp to get close to the chipped S3's if I had spent money on a turbo upgrade. I would be interested in any other opinions or indeed experiences.

8. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Sep 21, 2004]
    I am not entirely sure what pressure i am running i will get the print outs and have a look and let you know.

It is also a Modified Turbo Technics K04 not the standard one. I am yet to fit my front mounted intercooler as well which should bring my figure up 20HP at least.

From what i recall the boost is relativly low because i did not want at the time anythin crazy as i use the car for work now i regret it so i am wanting to buy an electronic boost controller so i can change it when i like. ( im not sure if they work on audi so if anyone has experiance can they let me know..) This is the one i was thinking of.. Boost

I thought that 230bhp was a respectable jump from 160bhp althought the price was not. That was with a full stainless and sports cat as well so im not entirely sure i am happy now.

Has anyone else had a K04 upgrade on there 1.8TS??
  9. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Sep 21, 2004]
    i have not tried this myself but have chatted to people who have, they were getting barely 215 wheel hp and were quite disapointed, since you got a full exhaust and sports cat is maybe why you see good figures?

when i had a 1.8t i was recommended by tuners if i wanted the k04 route have a 3 inch down pipe with sports cat gave good results with there customers.

10. welshdragon

welshdragon Member

[Sep 21, 2004]
    Markey, one of the reasons that I say 230bhp for your set up seems quite low is that with my mods based on my original 180bhp engine I think I should be in the region of 211-227bhp and so fitting an additional high flow cat & K04 for just a extra 3-19 bhp is just not realy worth doing. Are your figues at the wheel or have they been factored in for a flywheel figure?

As I understand (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) there are two general figures that can be obtained from a rolling road. First is the power at the wheels and the second is the recalculated power at the fly wheel which uses a formular with the input from the first. Obviously the figure at the wheels will be lower than the fly because of the mechanical inefficiencies of the transmittion system, of which is roughly 20% so I am told. So if your figure of 230bhp is at the wheel that isnt bad and could be somewhere in the region of 253bhp (rough guess)at the fly which is a little more respectable.

My theory for my power on 180bhp start:-

1.0 bar chip = 20-30 bhp
    K&N panel filter = 1-2 bhp
    Downpipe = 2-3 bhp
    Catback exhaust = 4-6 bhp
    N75J (raises boost
    to aprox 1.1 bar) = 4-6 bhp

Just to note that these figures have not been verified (on rolling road) but are my personnal guess of which I think are quite reasonable & conservative. Anyone elses comment on this issue would be appreciated.

11. imported_dumpvalve

imported_dumpvalve Guest

[Sep 21, 2004]
    230 at the wheels is well respectable.
  12. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Sep 21, 2004]
    I see what you mean...

The K04 does hold more boost then the K03 which may be good.
    Does the 180BHP use the K03s then?
  13. welshdragon

welshdragon Member

[Sep 22, 2004]
    As for the turbo on my 180bhp varient I hope this can give you a better idea. It was taken from the A3/S3 forum.

First of all, we don't produce any turbo that we call K03S. But I hope I can
    answer your questions with the following explanations.

All the following turbos have the same installation dimensions and
    thermodynamical performance. The differences are only in the actuator that
    opens the turbine bypass valve:
    K03-011 (5303 988 0011) 150 hp, 65 N actuator
    K03-026 180 hp, 85 N actuator
    K03-035 180 hp, 85 N actuator
    K03-044 150 hp, 65 N actuator
    K03-045 156 hp (Ibiza Cupra), 85 N actuator with 2 ports
    K03-049 150 hp (Sharan/Alhambra), 65 N actuator
    The 180 hp versions have an actuator with a higher opening force due to the
    higher exhaust gas pressure (which is a consequence of the higher boost
    pressure). Otherwise the valve would be pushed open by the exhaust gas
    pressure.

The following turbos are a further development (since 2000) and have an
    improved and slightly larger compressor while using the same turbine (still
    with the same installation dimensions):
    K03-052 180 hp, 85 N actuator
    K03-053 150 hp, 85 N actuator
    K03-058 150 hp/180 hp, 85 N actuator

Consequentially, putting a 180 hp turbo on a 150 hp engine will not bring
    about any change in performance, but putting on a K03-052/053/058 instead of
    the older versions will bring a slight improvement in engine efficiency.
    Additionally, with re-mapping the ECU you can achieve about 215 hp without
    danger of overspeeding the turbo. With the older turbos, 195 hp is the
    limit.

With the K04 that's also commonly used (5304 950 0001) the power output
    should not be more than 220 hp. That means, changing a K03-052/053/058
    against a K04 does not make a lot of sense.

I hope that these details answer your questions. If you need more info, one
    of our service distributors will be glad to help you. Their addresses are on
    our website www.turbodriven.com.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,
    BorgWarner Turbo Systems GmbH