1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo upgrade

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by dale86, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dale86

dale86 Member

Hi I have been trying to source an upgraded turbo for my a4 1.9tdi I was wanting a bv turbo but they seem thin on the ground and came accross a unit for the awx engine code with these specs GT1752 Spec Stage 2 (Uprated main bearings, 360deg large pad thrust bearing, balanced to higher tolerance, larger high flow compressor wheel +4.2mm,. Could some one confirm if this turbo would work. On my engine with supporting mods obviously.
  2. adamss24

adamss24 Active Member

52mm compressor will work however i would have a larger turbine machined at the same time, the gt17 turbine is pretty maxed out as it is... Buy a gt2052v turbo then use the compressor, turbine and vnt ring within your own gt1749va housing...
  3. dale86

dale86 Member

You surely know your stuff mate where as it's all over my head a bit. I was just going to buy it as it's advertised as a hybrid that will fit my engine how would it exspect to perform etc Adams's24 will it be worth purchasing ? I think it is advertised as an original turbo off awx engine with the modifications as above if that makes sense lol
  4. adamss24

adamss24 Active Member

Hybrids are ok if done properly ! As i said the gt17 turbine is pretty maxed out and the 52mm compressor is good to push enough air however, modern turbos have extended tip technology and better inconell shafts and 6+6 blades so they surge less ! As i said, only upgrading the compressor works to some extent, i would upgrade the turbine to a stronger/larger gt20 turbine for good measure, however that will need a new VNT ring from the donor turbo...
  5. dale86

dale86 Member

I'm now very apprehensive about purchasing this unit lol Adams's24 is their any chance you could build me one as then I know I'm deffinately getting a good turbo as you sound very experienced ?.