1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turbo upgrade a4 20tdi

Discussion in 'Tuning' started by stuartyp, Oct 21, 2013.

1. stuartyp

stuartyp Member

The turbo has went on my 05 20tdi a4 is there an upgraded turbo that i can just bolt on. Many thanks stuart
  2. supra steveo

supra steveo New Member

wouldnt of thought just a bolt on would do , think you would need to re-map aswell
  3. Administrators

Administrators Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Anything other than a stock turbo you will need a software upgrade. As far as the turbo goes anything that is based on the original unit .ie a hybrid will be a bolt on. if you start going mad as the turbo includes the manifold you will be into a whole load of work/money/pain. I would recommend just going with a genuine unit and if you want more power add a remap.
  4. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

A bv43 fits without any issues, a hose needs modifying but that's very easy really ! You will need a remap as advised above but that's another matter !
  5. supra steveo

supra steveo New Member

I am thinking of just getting my A4 re-mapped , its a A4 TDi with a BRE engine and if i am right its about 140 BHP, how much could i safely squeeze out of the car ? i need to sort the injectors first tho
  6. Administrators

Administrators Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That depends on the rolling road it's on :) if it goes on one. You would normally see approx 170s to high 180s from it.
  7. adamss24

With just a map the 140PD Tdi will see a max of 170Bhp, the turbo is the same as on the pd 130 but the engine has 16 valves so it can create a bit more flow and generates more torque, however i will play safe and look at a turbo upgrade, the shaft on the turbo is slender so it snaps easily especially when it spikes/overspeeds. I would look for a bv43 turbo if i was you and i will make sure the oil pump was done before tuning that engine...
  8. supra steveo

supra steveo New Member

are injectors easy to fix or is it something that should probably be replaced ?

sorry about the slight hi-jack btw
  9. adamss24

Injectors are big money to upgrade...leave well alone unless you have loads of money and looking for over 240bhp !
  10. supra steveo

supra steveo New Member

well i think ive got a slight problem with them anyway