Turbo To Mani Bolts And Washer Question

ceS3r

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been having problems since the last 2 or 3 months with the bolts that secure the turbo to the manifold. They keep backing out over and over. The local shop has already putted some red heat resistant loctite, but still no luck. While reading other threads, it seems that this bolts needs a washer, and it appears that mine hasn't. So my question is, could I just fit some normal washers? Or they have to be a specific ones? I've read that nordlock washers work pretty good but I live in Venezuela so it's kinda difficult for me to get them. Somebody told me that I could fit a spring washer. Should I? Or should I stick with a plain washer?

Thanks in advance.

I would have thought spring loaded washers would have helped of failing that is there room for a set of locknuts to go on after?

I assuming you have an S3 here based on your username... if you have no washers then it suggests the bolts have been out for some reason in the past,, normally a gasket or turbo change... the bolts should be replaced really as they stretch over time due to the heat cycles and old bolts will just continue to back out...

As for washers... there are supposed to be some special thick washers in there too...

Nords may work but you still have old bolts... part numbers for the washers and the bolts can be found following the link in the parts number thread in the stickies

<tuffty/>

Thank you for your replies. There's only one OEM bolt left, the other two are already changed but they're not OEM, as here in Venezuela is difficult to get OEM replacements. And yes, Sorry, is an Audi S3 BAM engine, and the local shop just replaced the gasket, but before that they told me there were no washers, so maybe the previous owner lost them idk. Ok so will try to get some thick washers and put them and keep an update. Thank you again.

fresh OEM bolts, washers etc "should" do the job, but on mine I run nordloc washers which I know you said you have issues getting hold of

ALWAYS use new bolts when a turbo comes apart.

fresh OEM bolts, washers etc "should" do the job, but on mine I run nordloc washers which I know you said you have issues getting hold of

ALWAYS use new bolts when a turbo comes apart.

Thank you, will keep that in mind from now on.