Turbo timer install with factory alarm

darren t

Reaction score
Hi there any gurus out there now how to wire in turbo timer do I can lock and set alarm whilst idling I know I have an after run for coolant but it dosent have one for oil this is my reason for fitting I cannot find the companion moduel and the light version locks itself I gather after engine cuts help needed by expert plzzz!!:thrashi:

Not a bit of kit I have ever fitted or would want/need to really... the whole point of the after run pump is so the oil doesn't cake up in the turbo...

Only ever seen one car with this fitted and it was a royal pain in the ****... never worked reliably and was more a hindrance than a help...

Personally can't see the point of one on a water cooled turbo... they were more for non water cooled turbos back in the day but most modern turbos are water cooled so no need really...

Your call obviously but I think its a waste of time... soz

<tuffty/>

Plus one to tuffty above. No point on cars with after run pump! Turbo timers were useful on crappy old scoobies that weren't as technologically advanced as modern turbo cars........
Waste of money IMO , spend it on something better mate :)

He guys but the after run pump only pumps water the whole point in ticking car over for extra 2/5 mins is to allow oil pressure to stabilise the after run pump cannot do this so there is deffinatly a need otherwise you wouldn't sit in the car for 5 mins would you? I know after run pump is too stop hot spots in the engine not turbo really turbo is cooled by oil mostly I can assure you that!!

you wouldn't sit in the car for 5 mins would you?

I don't sit in the car for 5 mins, I just stop driving hard 5 mins before I reach a destination and let the after-run pump do it's thing :thumbsup:

not all 1.8T's have an over run pump though do they?

even though to OP states he has one but us old a3 owners don't do they

He guys but the after run pump only pumps water the whole point in ticking car over for extra 2/5 mins is to allow oil pressure to stabilise the after run pump cannot do this so there is deffinatly a need otherwise you wouldn't sit in the car for 5 mins would you? I know after run pump is too stop hot spots in the engine not turbo really turbo is cooled by oil mostly I can assure you that!!

You would think that VAG and all the money they throw at R&D would have taken all of this into account... the after run pump is for the turbo not for 'hot spots' and the turbo is water cooled... the after run keeps coolant circulating around the turbo's CHRA for around 10mins after you have turned the engine off and is not cooled by the oil... I can 'assure' you of that...!

So turbo bearings are water cooled?

Yes....

not all 1.8T's have an over run pump though do they?

even though to OP states he has one but us old a3 owners don't do they

Some K03 turbo'd cars didn't come with an after run pump no... but the K03 doesn't get as hot and bothered as the K04...

<tuffty/>

So long as you drive sensibly for the last few minutes of your journey theres simply no need for a turbo timer, irrespective of having an afterrun pump.

I just make sure I wait a few mins when I start my car I think that is more important, even then I don't drive hard till my temps rise

Some K03 turbo'd cars didn't come with an after run pump no... but the K03 doesn't get as hot and bothered as the K04...

<tuffty/>

my a3 defiantly gets hot now i can feel the heat coming through the dash lol heat shielding need there!

i usually sit in the car picking my nose before driving then sit and do the same after driving.

my a3 defiantly gets hot now i can feel the heat coming through the dash lol heat shielding need there!

i usually sit in the car picking my nose before driving then sit and do the same after driving.

Yours doesn't count as you technically have a K04 now lol...

<tuffty/>

After run pump is for hotspots on the cylinder head and block plus yes it does help with turbo but unfortunately char is defiantly not exposed too water the casting of turbo gets water circulated too help cooling and char has oil on it turbo rtimer will help turbos char last alot longer I totally disagree after run pumps are for water so It will save the missis sitting in. Car for 5 mins after she has just floored car and cut engine straight out we she regularly does bearing protection is my objective theres no help cooling anything under the engine bay of my s3 lol way tooooo hot

I don't understand char is a bearing/shaft for turbo this is sprayed / circulated with water can anyone else confirm this?

I just make sure I wait a few mins when I start my car I think that is more important, even then I don't drive hard till my temps rise

If you look in your handbook Audi state to drive straight away as most engine damage occurs when it cold, and sitting at idle it is cold for a longer time. I give it a few seconds, then drive it but never give it more than 2.5k revs or any throttle until its up to temp.

After run pump is for hotspots on the cylinder head and block plus yes it does help with turbo but unfortunately char is defiantly not exposed too water the casting of turbo gets water circulated too help cooling and char has oil on it turbo rtimer will help turbos char last alot longer I totally disagree after run pumps are for water so It will save the missis sitting in. Car for 5 mins after she has just floored car and cut engine straight out we she regularly does bearing protection is my objective theres no help cooling anything under the engine bay of my s3 lol way tooooo hot

I don't understand char is a bearing/shaft for turbo this is sprayed / circulated with water can anyone else confirm this?

Same concept as the water jacket around the engine and head... there is a water jacket around the shaft and bearing... All std 1.8t turbos are water cooled... the after run pump circulates coolant around the turbo's chra AFTER the engine has been turned off to prevent the oil coking up the journal... this is why its there....

<tuffty/>

If you look in your handbook Audi state to drive straight away as most engine damage occurs when it cold, and sitting at idle it is cold for a longer time. I give it a few seconds, then drive it but never give it more than 2.5k revs or any throttle until its up to temp.

Audi also state that getting there long life oil with there service plan every 2 years is a ok, which is not it does not matter what car you have turbo or not it's aways good to give it some time for the oil to circulate and warm up

The oil doesnt "need time to circulate"

As soon as the motors spinning, the oil is circulating and reaches everywhere in the engine within a second including the turbo. By the time the motors settled to an idle, everything is fully lubricated.

Its fairly generally accepted that most engine wear occurs when starting from cold, and that to minimise wear you want to get the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible. This means driving it. Sitting idling means the engine takes much longer to warm up, and wastes fuel. Obviously you avoid high engine speeds and high load on a cold engine.

If you think the after run pump is only for the cylinder head, then you need to follow the pipes and see where they go. You'll find they go to the turbo.

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Section 123 of the highway code says:
The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.

...excerpt taking from here...
Control of the vehicle (117-126) : Directgov - Travel and transport

This suggests that the Police would have an interest if spotted using a turbo timer...

I also believe this would void your insurance if you do not declare it and its possible your current insurer would not insure you at all due to the nature of the device

Most suggest you need to install it with a 3rd party alarm for it to work properly...

<tuffty/>