1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo/Supercharger on 1.6? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AudiA31.6, Jul 3, 2011.

1. AudiA31.6

AudiA31.6 New Member

[Jul 3, 2011]
    After reading previous threads i know most people will just say "wait and buy a 1.8T" however i want to know if its possible to either supercharge or turbo my car. im only 18 so obviously insurance is big enough due to the engine size and Audi badge.

if anyone could tell me if its possible, what i would need and where i can source parts it would be much appreciated.
    i have saved a fair amount of money and labour to change parts will cost me zero.

Hope someone can help, many thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

[Jul 3, 2011]
    Anythings possible, certainly wouldnt be worth it though.

Insurance would probably be more as the car would be extensively modified over standard as the 1.8t wouldnt.
  4. TOM.S

TOM.S Active Member

[Jul 3, 2011]
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Jul 3, 2011]
    Anything is possible. But that will be VERY expensive. And you say a 1.8t is too expensive to insure? What do you think it will be if you did this turbo work lol
  6. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 3, 2011]
    I'd like to think the op is going to tell his insurance but with the comment 'insurance is dear enough' that seems like not.
  7. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 3, 2011]
    Drive it with standard power for 2 years and earn some NCB's, and start saving for a quicker car for when you turn 21.

Insurance is the number one killer for young drivers, and it's not getting any cheaper.

Regarding uprating the 1.6, save your money!
  8. AudiA31.6

AudiA31.6 New Member

[Jul 3, 2011]
    after doing some insurance research this evening it would cost me.... £6550 to insure the 1.8T!!! However either turbo or supercharging adds £600 to my costs.
    ive looked for that rotrex supercharger but cant find it for the 1.6 so im not convinced the car in that video is the 1.6? If i could source it id definately look at doing that!
    Cheers for the help
  9. TOM.S

TOM.S Active Member

[Jul 4, 2011]
    the car in the vid is deffo a 1.6 er.(judging by the look of that engine bay,engine cover) That rotrex rurbo might be universal , not vehicle specific.have you tried to get in touch with the person who uploaded that vid? (send a message trough youtube) he might point you to the right direction.
  10. nixy

nixy Member

[Jul 4, 2011]
    Seriously would be a complete waste if time the power increased wont be that much unless you go mega on it forged internals etc!! Doubt it would even be as quick a mapped 1.8T proberly stryggle with a standard one!! Just wait till your 21 when the premiums tumble and get a quick car then!!
  11. tom792

tom792 Boost Addict :)

[Jul 4, 2011]
    try e-car insurance i got insured at 17 on a 1.8t and at 18 on an s3, both years was £2300
  12. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

[Jul 4, 2011]
    It's not just adding a turbo or supercharger though, you really need to uprate the brakes aswell and costs start adding up pretty quickly. Just wait for a 1.8t, or try and get a quote for an A4 or Golf perhaps.
  13. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 4, 2011]
    First thing you need to understand is the requirements for a turbocharged engine are different to a naturally aspirated one.

As a result the engines compression ratio, piston design etc is not really suited to turbocharging. You may be able to run a small amount of boost, but not enough to be worth it.

To do the job properly, you will need to rebuild the motor with suitable pistons/rods which lower the compression ratio to a turbo friendly level. Even doing all the labour yourself, you'll easily spend a grand doing that alone if not more, because such parts arent commonly available for the 1.6 that drives the price up yet further.

Then you need the turbo, manifolds, intake pipework, larger injectors, intercooler, exhaust, which will probably cost you another few thousand, even if you buy parts cheap used etc theres simply a lot of bits to buy. You'll also likely need to upgrade the fuel pump, and the stock ECU wont have a hope of running a turbocharged engine, so you'll need to install some aftermarket management and have it mapped bespoke.

By the time you've done all that, you'll have spent so much that you may as well just paid the increased insurance premium on the 1.8T from the start. I recon being realistic your talking 4-5 grand to properly turbocharge that engine.

Shop around for the insurance, add some old folk as named drivers, and i'm sure you'll easily halve your 6 grand quote.
  14. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 4, 2011]
    why not try an nice ebay electric Ebay jobbie?
  15. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Jul 4, 2011]
    Anice computer cooling fan in a tube?
    We took one of a customers car and all had a good laugh at what was inside
  16. jojo

[Jul 4, 2011]
    Buy two, and you would have 'twin turbo' innit.
  17. bazil

bazil BOOM BOOM

[Jul 4, 2011]
    The biggest costs for turboing a 1.6 would be getting a exhaust manifold made to suit, buying a turbo and getting the fueling correct.
    you can easily change the compression ratio by using a steel spacer plate and 2 headgaskets or an aluminimum alloy plate and 1 gasket, steel plates can cost as little as £50 from ebay and alu/alloy ones are around £100-£150,
    you can use standard internals and lower boost ( upto about 9-10 psi ) before the engine will pop, fueling can be helped with a rising rate FPR,

All that said IMO its still a pikey way to turbo a car, Courtney Sport and Turbo Technics used the above meathods on older cars ( i have a courtney turbo conversion kit for my 1.6 E16SE )

On older cars they used a microswitch to sense the boost and fool the ECU into the coldstart map for more fuel, later conversions used the microswitch to fire a 5th injector on the inlet to add more fuel into the engine, modern cars could be remapped ( if the ECU allows )
    You simply cant fit huge injectors and run A higher rate FPR as you'll end up with huge overfuelling on tick over and off boost.

The problem with spacer plates is getting the CR correct, iirc on my 1.6 a 1.5mm plate drops me from 11-1 to 8.5-1 which is a good CR for turboing.

the other turbo option would be to use a good size compressor and small turbine wheel so it gives low boost with a higher CR engine.This makes the turbo spool up quickly but run out of puff higher up the revs, also if you go to big on the compressor you may encounter surge.

There are many options but BEWARE if you dont get good advice it WILL blow up.
  18. AudiA31.6

AudiA31.6 New Member

[Jul 4, 2011]
    Cheers for all the advice guys, by the looks of things i would have wasted money! Whats your opinion on this idea....

Ive found out insurance considerably drops if your in the armed forces..... Which i will be as of January 2012, so i was thinking of buying a 1.8T now with the money i have saved, declaring it SORN and doing bits monthly until january?
    Opinions please....
  19. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Jul 4, 2011]
    Good plan imo. But really, dont rush things mate, you gotta be sensible lol. I waited till i was 22 to get my s3, I wanted one for nearly 2 years prior!
    Put both your mum and dad on your policy, it works!
    Being armed forces does lower it, my girlfriend is in the raf and gets her focus st3 insured pretty cheap even though she's only 20. Some companies offer up to 25% lower premiums, I think youl get told which companies when your in. It's cheaper because you declare it kept on a base, which is pretty dam secure, plus with a career where your away often you won't use it as much as the average joe.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  20. jojo

[Jul 4, 2011]
    It's all about the patience, we all want fast cars when we pass our test, but believe me when I say you will be more grateful getting your fast car later than sooner. Get use to pootling around in a slow car first, everyone is mad out on the roads these days!
  21. colicabcadam

colicabcadam Guest

[Jul 4, 2011]
    :iagree:

fast car, young and insurance do not go together, i'd say do your bike licence, but you are not old enough to get anything over 33bhp
  22. JoeD

JoeD Member

[Jul 4, 2011]
    A lad turbocharged his 1.6 Golf on UKMIV'S. Have a look over there.
  23. DenCar

DenCar Member

[Jul 5, 2011]
    If you can afford it, just buy a A3 1.8 T or S3, go for it!!

DC