Turbo rebuild

J B

Reaction score
I had my turbo refurbed 18 months ago after my cylinder head cracked, whilst everything was apart I upgraded a few bits, I built and fitted a largeport head with a modified inlet mani, relentless v3 exhaust mani, downpipe & sports cat, and got the turbo refurbed as it was on around 85k then had the car mapped by Bill. But now 11k miles later the turbo has literally s*** its pants.

It started to whine slightly and I had a look at it, there was a little bit of oil, but minimal play up and down and in and out, and it wasn't catching on the housing. It got worse and I then had no boost. I had another look, tried to tighten exhaust mani to turbo nuts as I thought maybe it had come loose but everything seemed tight and the turbo didn't look any worse, then the whine stopped and I had hardly any power.

This is what I found when I took the TIP off or rather what fell out!

Video, I've never seen anything like it.

So just looking to see whether anyone has rebuilt a turbo using a new CHRA from a company called Niva? I can't really afford to be buying a new turbo and I'm hoping that the hot and cold sides are salvageable from my turbo!?

http://www.turbocharger.uk.com/product_p/53049700022.htm

Any thought and opinions?

I looked at the video, there is damage to the blade tips which is as a result of contact with the housing, also the nut has come loose, and only way that will happen is if the turbo stops suddenly because of faulty dv or vacuum system, the nut is a reverse thread so it can only come undone if the turbo is forced into a reverse situation. As its 18 months down the line and a good few miles plus it's mapped I'd be inclined to say the failure was a result of something related to the turbo, ie vacuum system, oil contamination, dv etc etc.. Without looking at it fully and inspecting I can obviously confirm any of that for sure.

Last 1 I saw similar, the hotside had cracked and caught the turbine wheel causing it to seize

Last edited: