turbo rattle

ben hammett

Reaction score
I have a 1.9tdi and I hear an occasional rattle from the turbo, not similar to what I'm used to, is this normal on this car?

Someone said to me that there is a different place you need to add oil for the turbo....kinda sounded odd but is this true, this is my first audi, I've borrowed an a3 2.0 s line for a month before and that was lovely.

Any ideas?

Hate to say it but if there is a rattle from the turbo and it's not from a braket or something attached to the turbo I wouldn't be driving the car...

Ok let get some basic info from you. Does the car lose power? does it smoke at all? How old and how many miles has it done?

To answer your question... No there is no seperate oil supply for the turbo, it uses the same oil as the engine. So as long as you have oil in the engine you should have oil in the turbo.

This is why it's so important to service turbo cars. The turbo needs good clean oil but the turbo also can spoil the oil quicker. The bearings in your turbo are really a film of oil and if this is getting dirty or poor oil you can get oil sheer and components will touch.

When do you get this noise?

Reactions: pauldazzle