1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo question if i may.....

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by tspar, Dec 17, 2009.

1. tspar

tspar New Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    I have heard that after a long drive that its best to leave the engine running for a couple of minutes after stopping before tuning the engine off to avoid any potential heat damage to the engine. Is this "Good practice" in the turbo world?

If this is the case then what would everyone consider to be the minimum amount of miles to be done before following this practice?

Any thoughts as ever appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Tim
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 15, 2014]

3. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Dec 17, 2009]
    That is neccessary with big turbos yeh. But just let the turbo warm up for 10 mins and cool down for 10 mins at the end of your journey, this will prelong the life of the turbo.
  4. DeckedS3

DeckedS3 Active Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Not really something I do... Maybe after a hard drive and turbo/engine hasn't had a chance to return to normal running temp.
    But I think leaving the engine running with no air passing through could do more harm than good IMO.
  5. tku

tku Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    I thought you only do that with evo's and subaru's as their turbo's are huge.
  6. tku

tku Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Thus the majority of them have turbo timers.
  7. Haglos

Haglos jabba mapped

[Dec 17, 2009]
    not so much do it every time but after a spirited drive i always alloy 3-5 mins of cooling down and i always warm the turbo up
  8. Chris128

Chris128 Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    I'm sure I read in the handbook somewhere that it says not to leave the car standing still with the engine running if you can avoid it... maybe that was just for fuel economy or something I dunno, I'll try and find the exact words..
  9. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Dec 17, 2009]
    It's only necessary after a hard drive not a long drive. It allows the oil to spread around the turbo otherwise the next time you start up it's starting without any lubrication.

IIRC that is!
  10. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Dec 18, 2009]
    If you just do the last few miles off boost then that is fine, just turn it off. If your coming off the motorway into a service station for instance or been ragging the car hard its advisable to let the engine tick over for a minute or two to let the turbo come down in temp while it still has the oil circulating and cooling it. Same when you start driving the car dont drive it hard until the oil is up to temp as its not providing maximum protection for the engine/turbo.