Turbo Quattro : Chipped

iancooney

Reaction score
Obviously a highly covered topic.

I have had my Turbo Quattro since September and the power is thoroughly enjoyable, love the car.

Not that i#m a maniac or anything but if someone has the time could they outline the options i have on chipping/remapping (i'm a novice) my engine to gain more power. I live in Glasgow - anyone who knows places in Scotland where it can be done that would be helpfull also.

2001Y TQ 180 BHP 6

Cheers in advance

Ian i would be tempted to go for a 4 bar map either custom or the likes of revo,you already should have a ko3s and vvt ,you shpuld get 220 ish bhp and 240-250 lbft torque maybe more.Exhaust is worth doing but only if you are willing to change the lot ,my downpipe /cat was so restrictive,on a tq its more of a job to change the front pipe ie no room,contact milltek ,when i was looking they said that they were developing a system,but i went for custom job frontpipe with a s3 miltek system.Give star performance a ring , they will give you some options and they are north of the border. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[ QUOTE ]
you already should have a ko3s and vvt

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought 2001 A3 TQs used the ARY engine, which is non VVT?

I'm a bit confused about the VVT issue, in the 1.8T... It clearly doesn't have an effect on peak power or torque, but I wonder if the VVT engines are EU-IV emissions compliant, and the non-VVT only EU-III?

Sorry, bit of a tangent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Either way, I'd quite fancy your 225bhp Andy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Friends with 180 Leons on that year have ko3s and vvt,but without looking?is there a wiring plug coming out of the right hand side of the cam cover ,i think this right for vvt ,but i may be wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Guys WOAH!

English please

Listen i don't want to go Chavving Up my car with mad exhausts and stuff - i chose the Quattro because it is understated power, If i wanted to go around parading my piece i'd have gone for an S3!

So, should i go down the road of getting it "4 bar map" i could gain around 30bhp? What would this cost and would i really notice the difference?

Also is this shtoock safe? I ain't going to pop the poor things engine am i?

Sorry for the lay talk but as you gather i'm not a student of the genre - help is much appreciated lads.

Ian

Ian you won't pop the engine mate,a 4 bar map with revo gives a little more power ie 5-10bhp through out the range over the standard map for about £45 extra for the new 4bar fuel pressure regulator(helps with fuel deliverly apparently)which most revo agents will fit for you and may even carry in stock.See main revo site for more details.Proper performance exhausts are not chavving it up,they are discrete!not loud and huge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifseriously tq front pipes are a very poor design as standard,S3 front pipes are a much better design and a lot larger diameter.My original pipe was about 42mm(1 3/4 ")where the flexi joined,thats really poor design for a 180bhp turbo engine,mine now is minimium of 63mm (2 1/2")torque and pick-up have improved lots.Ring star performance they have a good reputation on here and do their own maps as well or find the nearest revo dealer . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[ QUOTE ]

Listen i don't want to go Chavving Up my car with mad exhausts and stuff - i chose the Quattro because it is understated power, If i wanted to go around parading my piece i'd have gone for an S3!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, you're joking right? To many the A3/S3 is just an 'A3' (sorry guys but a lot of other road users wouldn't notice the difference....and to a certain extent I 'd imagine that's why a lot of S3 owners chose their car - to be subtly styled, far from boasting what you've got, but knowing those with a bit of class would notice the 'S' badge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) Having said that about the general appearance similarities, I think your statement of 'chaving up' an S3 may also not be what you really meant. For a start a charv wouldn't know an S3 from a Saxo, let alone have the $$$'s to buy one. Even once owned, and driving around in their burberry cap and goldie lookin chain whilst listening to 50 spent, they wouldn't have the cash to chav it up...well I certainly hope not!

Asides from beign a quality allrounder brand and model that is why most of us bought Audi A3/S3's. As I say to the untrained eye a lot of people don't even know of the differences between an A3/S3, (so I don't think a A3 TQ or any other model A3 for that matter) necessarily distinguishes the difference(s) to an S3 - this being the case, perhaps you should have just bought the S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hope I am correct and you did not mean to use the term 'chav' in literal meaning/association....otherwise I think their may be just a few people that disagree buddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You guys are obviously jealous of the S3 owner, I'm off to chav mine up good and proper - Lexus lights please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif