Turbo Problems

audi-a6

Reaction score
Hi All!,

Aint been on here for a while as just been so busy with work, iv had no time to sleep let alone anything, work meant i was driving my car for a lot more miles every day and i think its took it toll, car has been good as gold the last few month until yesterday, was driving fine and then went to pull out of a petrol station (quite hard as wanted to beat the traffic) and suddenly there was a squeal and as i carried on, i lost boost down to 0.2 bar and turbos started to sound like a police siren, by the time i got home turbos were silent and i had no boost at all, 0 on the gauge. Im guessing they have gone, thing is, they are only 10 months old and why both at extactly the same time? No error codes? can any one advise?

Were they fitted by a reputable company? Should have warranty or something.

Can you access the shaft to check for play also was it smoking?

Were they fitted by a reputable company? Should have warranty or something.

Can you access the shaft to check for play also was it smoking?

They were fitted by a garage, bought from a company in germany, they do still have warrenty. a bit of smoke on start up, but not alot. Point is, why both at the same time, if one then okay, could almost accept it? also would the company be liable to pay the garage cost as its over 1k to get them removed>?

They were fitted by a garage, bought from a company in germany, they do still have warrenty. a bit of smoke on start up, but not alot. Point is, why both at the same time, if one then okay, could almost accept it? also would the company be liable to pay the garage cost as its over 1k to get them removed>?

I doubt they would pay the garage cost it will probably be hard enough getting the replacements.

if it was a mistake when fitting them I would of thought something would of gone wrong quite sooner than 10 months

Contact the seller and tell them and also explain the cost of fitting isn't cheap

I doubt they would pay the garage cost it will probably be hard enough getting the replacements.

if it was a mistake when fitting them I would of thought something would of gone wrong quite sooner than 10 months

Contact the seller and tell them and also explain the cost of fitting isn't cheap

Yeah thats what i have done, i agree that it is not a mistake when fitting, but nether the less still strange

My guess is that they missed a plug/seal in oil or water connections on both.

Is it possible that one seized a bit earlier but without the noise thus you didn't notice it in the same way and the other still able to provide most of the boost?

I do agree that it's strange that both failed simultaneously but if both were mounted wrongly not impossible (or had the same manufacturing fault).

Remember that when turbo charging was introduced to cars they weren't water-cooled at all.
And I'm not sure, it's my guess. But I think that is a more probable explanation then a manufacturing fault in say a bearing causing the failure.

That brings me a grime thought. Check your coolant! If someone added "green" antifreeze the mixture of green and red might caused failure in the cooling to the turbo's.

Gone to topgear bridport today to have new turbos fitted and all oil feeds are going to be checked :) while its there they going to do a ful de-cat....... aaaaaaannnnnnndddddd i get a nice new set of 19" 3sdm 0.06's fitted....... :)