1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo problem

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ant1978, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ant1978

Ant1978 New Member

[Oct 29, 2013]
    I bought my 2007 A3 2.0tdi 140 around 6 weeks ago. On several occasions now when you open it up on a dual carridgeway the car looses all power and goes into limp mode. After turning the engine off and waiting a few minutes everything works fine again.

I have been told and also read up on here that this is or could be due to a problem with the VNT vains sticking inside the turbo.
    It seems most people just put a replacement turbo on and everything is fine again.

Is a recon turbo the way to go? If so whats the best place to get one? Is it on an exchange basis when buying a recon turbo or just buy it out right?

And is it worthwhile possibly looking at uprated/hybrid turbo's if I plan on getting a remap once its all running right.

Last question could it be anything else causing this problem as I don't want to spend money on a turbo to find its something cheap and simple to replace.

Thanks
    Ant
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Oct 29, 2013]
    You would need a scan to check what the causes are, but I suspect its overboost & thus sticking vanes, which means removal & clean if not damaged internally or replace, we've done quite a few of these on BKD's already, what's your general location?
  4. Ant1978

Ant1978 New Member

[Oct 30, 2013]
    I have had it scanned, was told it was overboost. Whats the turn around time on removal and clean? Plan was to get a recon turbo then just swap it over so the car isn't out of action for more than a day.

I live in Bristol
  5. NHN

[Oct 30, 2013]
    Same day usually, as long as its not got any connecting parts with issues, if the turbo's got problems internally because of the vanes clogged, then of course it would be best to fit new of which we can source aswell.
  6. Ant1978

Ant1978 New Member

[Oct 30, 2013]
    Do you carry replacement turbos just incase? Pm me some prices of what you can offer.

Thanks
    Ant
  7. NHN

[Oct 30, 2013]
    No, turbo's are ordered per job & for example we recently removed one & found the exhaust wheel had parts broken of & missing, probably went into cat or through, we were swapping out for new anyway for that particular customer.