1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turbo overboosting

a3james May 1, 2012

1. a3james

a3james Member

Audi a3 2.0 tdi has been going into limp mode now and then which won't let it go past 60 if I turn it off and start it straight up again it will be fine. I've had it plugged into a scanner and I said turbocharger overboosting is this likely to be a sensor ? Thanks

2. BuckleyTDI

BuckleyTDI Member

do u know if the 8p a3 run vnt turbos or not? what bhp version is it? and how many miles has the a3 done?

james

3. SAiLO

SAiLO Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

It's likely to be the turbo starting to fail. You can get it replaced for roughly £500

4. a3james

a3james Member

Hi mate its a 2005 2.0 tdi s line with 115000 on the clock cheers

5. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

BKD engine turbos are all suspect, particularly at that mileage.

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and go for a reconditioned replacement.

I had one at 75k miles - £695 fitted and guaranteed for two years.

6. a3james

a3james Member

I don't know whether anyone has had any experience with midland turbo but I spoke to them and they said they charge 185 pound + vat to recon it which includes changing bearings and seals and a relly good clean up. Is that the road to go down ? Or do you recommend and others ? Thanks

7. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

Vanes are sticking, same thing happened to me, and this happened:

[​IMG]

:laugh:

8. mike foster

Did it arrive ok ?

9. N8

I believe so brother, it arrived @ the bodyshop :wub:

10. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

LOL informative MR K. Good stuff what kind of power will the hybrid and shark offer?

11. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

Yeah but you have to appreciate changing to a hybrid means a potential new clutch and a remap. Which is another £1000 easy on top of the turbo. Easier/cheaper to just get a refurb if your not that bothered.

12. N8

The turbo is good enough for 230bhp with an S3 I/C & uprated injectors, but I'll come to that later in the year :wub:

13. rob_watti

rob_watti Member

14. Brodster

Brodster Well-Known Member TeamMisano Team V8 Audi RS4 Audi Avant Owner Group s tronic

My old 2.0 TDI - the wastegate acuating arm had failed. It was the integral piece that had gone so new turbo needed.....under warranty no less.......ouch!!

15. a3james

a3james Member

So do you think it would be as good as new if midland turbo recon it ? Will it damage the turbo if I carry on driving it ? Thanks for your help.

16. mike foster

It won't do any more harm to a knackered turbo but, if it blows, you could be looking at a new engine !

17. tdi-man

tdi-man Well-Known Member

midland turbos are very good ive seen there work.

i got my hybrid from turbo technics and is working fine

18. - Jrd -

- Jrd - Member

I fully recommend Turbo Technics, Customer service is excellent as is there items

19. N8

This was my first port of call. I've spoke to many people over the past week regarding my issue, lots saying try innotec it's great, others saying its a waste of time! I have a 2000+ mile round trip to Austria pending in the next 2 weeks, and just couldn't drive that distance without knowing that everything was ok. So when replacing the turbo, makes sense to uprate it! I already have the TBE, just need to get S3 intercooler and uprated injectors later in the year to accompany it!

Looking forward to the car driving nice across the continent! :wub:

20. mike foster

Have a good trip and don't forget the breathaliser ! Mandatory now in France !!

21. weela89

weela89 Member

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on A3 2.0tdi Sportback.

Ive come round to the fact its the turbo but only gone into Limp Mode twice on the motorway with Cruise Control on.

Any suggestions for the best place to take the money guzzling beast in the North West, Bolton/Manchester area?

22. weela89

weela89 Member

FYI - I stupidly had the sensor replaced but this was no help.

23. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

Any of you hybrid boys got an idea of what sort of MPG is possible with the hybrid?

24. rob_watti

rob_watti Member

Im in skipton, North Yorkshire if that's any good to you pal?

25. - Jrd -

- Jrd - Member

Which hybrid you got N8? Stage1 your current injectors are OK, Stage 2 youll need injectors. You need the S3 cooler either way and a wider necked downpipe/decat.

Im doing mine very soon aswell

26. weela89

weela89 Member

I'll have a shop around and let you know if thats ok. Got a mate who is pretty nifty so ill get a price from his first and let you know.

Cheers,

Matt

27. flying oyster

flying oyster flying oyster

i got 51 mpg but if your worried about mpg dont get a hybrid because you wont want to think about mpg just on how well your car goes and you will need a new clutch unless your dsg as they a are bit more hardy

28. N8

Hybrid of my Garrett, I'll be ok without the cooler and injectors for now, I already have a TBE.

29. J8TT X

J8TT X Member

I used Midland Turbos for my recon turbo.
    Very happy with the work.
    Its been on 6 months now.