1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo oil return pipe

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Lemon S3, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Fitting my turbo and need a gasket for the oil return pipe on the bottom of the turbo. Was wondering does it need to be anything special like a metal gasket or can I just use gasket paper or will it get too hot? If it needs to be metal, where do I get one from?
  2. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

TPS should do it? I got my pipe changed last year and on the recipes I'm sure it said gasket. Not at home so can't really check the codes
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

OEM metal gaskets all day long... dealer or TPS as a supplier... paper gaskets typically get supplied with the hybrids I have been involved in fitting and I never use um... I use OEM ones on my GT30... never leaked

<tuffty/>
  4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

oem all the way, TPS or Audi, but you're too late today as they're both shut now.

Should have bought everything before you started :p
  5. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

I forgot the return pipe needed a gasket :3sadwalk:
    Spent nearly £47 at Audi yesterday just getting a thermostat, turbo/man gasket, turbo/dp gasket and inlet man gasket. Was a bit shocked at the price, but I saved 6p :rock: as I didn't have enough on me n they let me off.
  6. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

it's OK, I forgot that very same gasket myself last time I did a swap!

realised I'd forgotten it, and was very careful when removing the old one, and I've re-used it no trouble. few thousand miles later and there are no leaks, so happy days :)
  7. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

I wanted to do the same but I can't find it, I thought I did and went to fit it then realised the bolt holes were too close, god knows what that gasket is for.