1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo not kicking in - loss of power!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by VTEC_Killer, Oct 23, 2012.

1. VTEC_Killer

VTEC_Killer Member

[Oct 23, 2012]
    Car was running ok this morning, then it felt that there was no 'surge' as if the Turbo wasn't kicking in.

Continued on my journey for 8 miles (mainly flat, so no big issue) but as soon as I got to a hill, the car was in limp mode - no power at all to climb the hill (car really struggling)

Anyway, I switched the engine off as soon as I got on the flat, started up and then things were like back to normal again - the turbo was working ok!

I did a quick search on the forum, and the MAF Sensor/N75 seems to be the main cause (though I will try to get it on VAGCOM).

Q's?

Where is the MAF and n75 sensors located and can I replace these myself?
    What will be cost?
    How do you best clean the turbo with Mr Muscle?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. dplovin

dplovin Member

[Oct 23, 2012]
    The maf and n75 are at the top of the engine ill take a pic for you later. Both easily replaceable mate and not too exspensive
  4. dplovin

dplovin Member

[Oct 23, 2012]
    Maf around £50 and n75 £40 I think last time I bought one. But that was for a 1.8t s3
  5. moggie93

moggie93 Member

[Oct 23, 2012]
    Maf sensor is on the air box. N75 valve is on the front of the engine. Just follow the vacuum hose from the turbo actuator . N75 valve is just under £40 from stealers. Have a search for the mr muscle turbo cleaning post. I've recently done both and it's cured my llimp mode problems.
    M
  6. stu_m

stu_m Active Member VCDS Map User

[Oct 23, 2012]
    forget looking at parts and prices till you have done a scan and you know what you need :confused:
  7. VTEC_Killer

VTEC_Killer Member

[Oct 24, 2012]
    Update:

Drove the car home yesterday, no problems - everything seemed to be ok.

Got it on VAG, no engine codes detected except for some unsual ones from con unit, so all good there - cleared codes, went for a blast, re-test - all good!

Drove in this morning, no issues.

Pretty weird, I think! I guess I'll see how it goes over the next few days/weeks.