1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo noise

Jamesh Dec 11, 2006

1. Jamesh

Jamesh Member

Hi,

Just require alittle bit of help, tried searching but can't really find anything that answers my question.I always drive with the music on fairly loud, but today had the stereo switch off and noiced a loud sucking/whoosing noise when accelerating, sounds like its coming from behind the glove box. Is this normal, the cars standard apart from a baileys DV. Had a quick look around TIP, DV and N75 but cant find anything split or hanging off.

Cheers

James

2. Quattro_Lew

Quattro_Lew All Torque

yes mate youll be able to hear the turbo spool up with the "whoosh sucky" highly technical explanation noise, as long as its not a high pitched whistle noise its perfectly normal :)

3. Pete69zx

Pete69zx Guest

And if it is a high pitched whistle noise? (curious).

4. Quattro_Lew

Quattro_Lew All Torque

turbo imbalance or failure

5. jimmi

jimmi Member

And what a satisfying sound it is :rock:

6. Quattro_Lew

Quattro_Lew All Torque

amen,

i feel sorry for the valver owners who have to make the sounds themselves

7. dultanur

dultanur all promises, no action :)

i think all sounds have their own appeal... heard an R32 the other day...WOW!

8. Peloton

Peloton Member

Yeah I have to agree. I was along side one the other week that had Star Performance decals all over the place and it did sound quite amazing! It was quite humerous though, he was holding all the traffic back so he could give it a half decent squirt in the middle of town. :laugh:

9. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

I had the same after my engine was replaced, all pipes looked attached and nothing showing on VAGCOM, however there is a turbo pipe (OEM red one) at the back on the engine, clips were loose and although attached where the turbo spooled it was allowing air to whistle throught the gaps....

my be worth checking, BTW, its is pig to get at!

10. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

Why is it that on a morning when my car is cold on starting off with the window open my turbo noise is louder than when the car is hot after a trip somewhere. You can really hear it whistle when the car is cold but not when warm???