Turbo/manifold bolts coming loose

Fancy sending my one in then Bill? :p

He's been saying that basically it ain't worth his time trying to clamp the manifold down straight and run a stone across it... That's the only sort of engineering shop here as well haha
aint worth his time = lazy.. If it takes time he charges his time.. Its that simple.

Reactions: hydro s3
Gave up on the chinafold after 4 sets of bolts and gaskets back OEM now with new turbo

Didn’t have it machined, as wasn’t aware that it had to be, but yeah tightened them after heat cycle, tried the bolts that xDaNx used

Yeah unfortunately a foundary flat surface isn't a true flat surface. These are pretty raw castings and need finishing by machining like any cast item does.

Also obviously using a stock gasket means the manifold wasn't ported to 47mm either. Was the collector knife edged?

Lots of hotsides that are around are aftermarket and may not be finished to exact standards either

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3
I suspect folks not prepping manifolds well enough, nor checking turbo hotsides for being flat (as neither are in my experience a lot of the time) and compounded by over tightening the bolts from the onset, so once expansion has kicked in they have yielded..

Have seen a fair few of these chinafolds come through Bills over the years and they range from mostly usable out the box to barely usable as a paper weight...

The batches vary within the same shipments and you never really know what you will get until they arrive... all you do know is that they will need a little bit of attention to get them in a reliably usable state

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Jay 01 s3