1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Issue Questions

dann959 Sep 27, 2004

1. dann959

dann959 Member

Lately I have had loss in boost and have been getting an engine light. When I clear the light I get my chipped boost back but after awhile i slowly loose boost and and eventually the car feels like I have less than stock boost and the engine light goes back on. Peridically i also hear a clicking sound from what I suspect is the turbo my acceleration is also not vey smooth its choppy when I hear the clicking. I have 62k on my car and I have a feeling the turbo bearings are having problems. My question is is it worth it to get the turbo worked on/rebiult? How much US$ does a turbo rebuild usually go for? Is it worth it to get a KO4? If I got a k04 what other parts would I have to get? Would a downpipe be necessary? Would a catback be necessary? How long and how much does a tpical k04 instillation go for?

2. GoSPeeDxRaCeR

GoSPeeDxRaCeR Member

all i know, is that i would go for a k04 instead of rebuilding an old turbo. you would need a diverter valve and ecu programing for boost. downpipes and catbacks would be a plus but not necessary...cost... not too sure.. but its worth it instead rebuilding the old one.

3. dann959

dann959 Member

I have a b5 a4 and I really do feel the turbo is on its way out. I think the little ko3 has had one hell of a ride and the bearings are starting to go. My theory about the bearings is because of the clickng sound and the jerky acceleration.

4. GoSPeeDxRaCeR

GoSPeeDxRaCeR Member

that sounds like a possibility... go for the ko4.

5. K212

K212 Member

When is a good idea to replace the KO3??? I'm thinking about getting a turbo kit in the future, maybe around 75-80K miles...

6. imported_RastaS4

imported_RastaS4 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    GoSPeeDxRaCeR said:
    that sounds like a possibility... go for the ko4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! K04 is an amazing turbo! I changed my S4's turbos and got K04...very nice

G

7. Markey

Markey Active Member

I have one and boy then can handle a lot of boost and they hold it really well it just seems to keep on coming.

8. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

how much did a K04 cost you guys, if you dont mind me asking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. GoSPeeDxRaCeR

GoSPeeDxRaCeR Member

u dont know... but if i had the money...oh man id juss ship an rs4

10. GoSPeeDxRaCeR

GoSPeeDxRaCeR Member

11. Markey

Markey Active Member

think mine was 1k ish fitted with the remap etc.

12. imported_RastaS4

imported_RastaS4 Guest

My two turbos were around 2500$ with a remap. But at the time, the exchange rate between USD and Swiss francs was 1.69... now it's 1.27! I bought them modified by sportec!

G