Turbo is out....it's f'ed - what're my options now?

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So, I posted recently about my turbo oil seals having gone, so got someone to take the turbo out so that I could rebuild it (bought a rebuild kit already). Got the turbo out on Friday...and I believe it's foo*ed! The hot side is cracked all over, I could see daylight through them!! See the pictures below and see for yourself! :)

IMAG1168IMAG1169IMAG1173IMAG1175IMAG1176IMAG1178

So, question is now "What do I do now?". I don't want to go anything fancy like start a BT build or hybrid or anything, I know that I'll just be replacing with a stock K04. But the way I see it, I have a few options. I would value your opinions on which I should go for, what else I should look at, and if I've missed anything else I should check out given the pictures I've posted etc - all advice gratefully received!!

1) Buy a new hot side housing, and rebuild the turbo as I had initially planned (probably the cheapest option). Can you buy just hot side housings by themselves? Is this wise in this situation?
2) Send the unit off to be reconditioned by a company (whatever company it might be). Is that even possible in it's current state? Could I trade my unit in for some money off a reconned turbo?
3) Buy a 2nd hand turbo (worth it given that it will fail again soon potentially?)
4) Buy a brand new turbo (most expensive). How do I make sure I don't get a Chinese knock off etc?

Thanks for the help guys. Another thing to add, I do need my car back on the road pretty soon, would any of the above options take significantly less time than the others etc?

Appreciate the help!!

Cheers,
Aran

Have a word with Dan at Beach Buggy Turbos..... See what you options are....

Buy a turbo off ebay.

Are you running stock boost and mapping?

Other than buying a brand new one for around £700 you are probably best off buying a decent 2nd one and rebuilding that.

Or and I say this quite loosely , buy a copy turbo and then spend the time sorting out the turbine housing and rebuilding it/ upgrading the internals.

Reactions: 16Klappe
I would ring around all the scrapyards and breakers for any k04 car , tt,lcr,s3 ect and buy a second hand decent low mileage one if possible and rebuild that if I was looking for a cheap option.

Now if it was me and its out, I would at least pm beach buggy and get him to hybrid / rebuild it for me! :)

Sean

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a ring around for a 2nd hand one and rebuild that I think, should be the cheapest / quickest options. I'm not looking to hybrid it as that leads me down a very dangerous road of lots of expenditure :)

As far as the turbo itself goes, my car is a 210hp APY engine code. Most of the turbos I've seen online so far (Audi TT 8N S3 8L 1.8T K04 225BHP Turbo Charger for BAM 06A145704Q | eBay for example) are for the 225hp models / BAM engines etc. Will that cause any replacement / rebuild problems? Is there a specific turbo part number I should only be looking at?

Next (very cheeky) question; anyone know of any good breakers down in Surrey? :p

Thanks guys

Thanks mate. Along with my other question about "what is the right turbo". Assuming that I rebuilt this turbo (the listing says it's smoking a bit) and it's low mileage etc etc, is this "K04 kkk" turbo correct, or do I need a "K04-023"...or?....

SEAT IBIZA CUPRA 1.8T 20V K04 TURBO KIT KKK MK3 VW AUDI GOLF LEON S3 TT BAM 225 | eBay

Thanks again!!

cant be sure but I don't that its a genuine k04 turbo! Turbine housing looks wrong, plus its got a cr turbo actuator on it which means its not stock... I'd be checking its a genuine k04 first off.

I'm happy to bung the hole etc; so that means I could potentially get a BAM code turbo, as there seem to be more of them around? I could just weld in a bung?

thanks mate; yeah, i'm gonna rebuild it myself. Cheers, i'll get back in touch with them

There's a site sponsor on here selling genuine K04's for 595 inc vat and includes a fitting kit. Bsckdraft motor sports I think? Check out their section!

Thanks dude, made the decision to go used and rebuild it though - got the rebuild kit, may as well save money like I was planning anyway :) Got a couple offers for 70k / 80k miles turbos I can rebuild for good money, so I think i'll be ok. Thanks :)

theres a rebuilt genuine one on the classifieds on here for 250 mate, best option in my opinion... guy says he has all the paperwork for the rebuild, i was gonna have it!

i cant find it now mate must of sold, his user name was 'james 91' if that helps, might fall through!?

no worries mate. I've got a couple options still, i'm lucky enough to have that so quickly!!

I bought a genuine K04 from Turbo Dynamics but only because I sent my last turbo to them to refurb and it was beyond repair. Was about £700 but has been worth it with the way it's performing now.

While the turbo is off you need to Realy think about the path you want to go down as its easier to start adding mods while it's apart. Mine all started with a new turbo and DP and now look at it!!