Turbo > Intercooler Flexible Pipe Blown Off

devan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a small problem with my Audi S3 225 with Revo Stage 1 Remap the other day.

I was driving up a 2 mile 70mph hill, doing about 70mph (ish), got to about 3/4 of the way up, and my cars power just died, revs dropping down to near enough zero, but no warning lights. I managed to pull into a layby, and just as i did my car cut out.

Went to look in the engine bay, and found the turbo to intercooler flexible hose had blown off where it is screwed on via a jubilee clip to the turbo hard-pipe. Checked for anything else broken/not working, but all seemed ok, so i just screwed the pipe back on (no damage to anything).

Just trying to think why it happened and how to prevent it again.Im just wandering if a jubilee clip is supposed to be used, ie is it like that from the factory, or is it supposed to be another type of clip (or maybe it just wasnt tightened correctly). And also obviously there is more air being forced through the pipe since my remap, so would i need to upgrade the intercooler hoses?? Would this support the jubilee clip in securing the flex to the hard pipe?

Cheers,
Ash.

I'm assuming you're talking about the pipe which comes around on the left side with the handprint logo on it? My one hasn't popped off yet but after a good boot the pipe tends to come away slightly and i have to push it back on again. I think they're pretty weak as standard and a good solid jubilee clip should hold it fine.

Nothing wrong with that dude, I would think the extra pressure has slowly worked the pipe off over a long period of time.

I bet that made a nice 'bang' when it came off too!

Put it back on and make sure it's tight. If still unsure, use WD40 to slide it on further, over the second lip and use 2 jubilee clips. That's what I do.

Job done.

Upgrading the standard hoses is always good if only to know they wont be the cause of any air leaks. After talking with Bill (Badger5) while mine was being mapped yesterday he recommends high torque jubilee clips

Upgrading the standard hoses is always good if only to know they wont be the cause of any air leaks. After talking with Bill (Badger5) while mine was being mapped yesterday he recommends high torque jubilee clips

Forge High Torque jubilee clips are the ones you mention that Bill likes. Not really much need on standard pipes running Stage 1 boost though to be honest. The OEM ones are generally OK at that level.

Yeah its the flexible hose which connects to the hard-pipe with the hand on it.

And it didnt actually make a bang, all i knew was that the power had seriously dropped, and like usual, you expect the worse lol.

I was actually thinking of changing all the hoses, 2 top and 3 small bottom ones i think? Comes to around £200 for Forge IIRC.

And yeah i did see the high torque ones, but like you said, tbh i dont think theyre needed on stage 1.

Ill just keep an eye on it, making sure its flush up to where it should be, and the jubilee clip is tight.

Cheers for the speedy replies.

Welly - i'm gonna have to use 2 jubilee clips then. Whilst i'm flooring it, it gets a bit duff when i hit high revs. I'm guessing it's because the pipe is creeping off slightly which is making me lose boost pressure.