1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Inlet Flange Snapped Off!

s3dave Mar 2, 2013

1. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Just replaced my turbo to mani gasket and just putting pipes back etc, when i noticed the B5 Tip was strangley floppy...

Took everything off to find this.....

[​IMG]

Thanks Again CR ...They have bored the hole too .5mm!! no wonder it broke off
    [​IMG]

Luckily i have managed to secure the billet adapter to the remaining bit on the turbo with some fancy real steel paste stuff...and is solid...

I was lucky the turbo didnt ingest the lot.....:faint:

AVLO likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Administrator Moderator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi S3 s tronic

​Not good news Dave, but at least you have the knowledge and ability to fix these things. :) x

3. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

Sorry dave.. In order to get the 2283 wheel to fit the housing it has to be machine very thin, no way around it without making a bigger housing. Then likely hood is with the b5 the grub screw gets wound in too tight breaking through . I've seen it on mine. Also seen one completely deformed by jubilee clip done up too tight as well. I advise anyone buying these about the fact.. You where lucky though it didn't get ingested into the turbo.. Just as well the other turbo might be finished soon ;-)

4. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I'm sure I remember you saying you'd punctured the lip with the grub screw Dave?

5. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Same thing happened to a lad on scn and im sure he has a cr turbo too. Bad times pal.

6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Yes it did mate, there was no pressure at all and the screw just came through.. i know mine was super thin as i measured another hybrid and mine was 2mm larger internal..
    As Dan says they do need to open them up but i think mine was far to thin....