1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turbo hoses leaking oil?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by maffew, Apr 1, 2013.

1. maffew

maffew Member

Hey, did my oil service yesterday on my A3 2.0 TDI SPORT 8p 54reg- noticed there was a bit of oil giving the occasional drip from the sump plug so bought a new plug for £1.50 and hopefully that's sorted that, I've only had the car about a month or so.

Noticed while I was under there though that at both front corners there is oil leaking out of these hoses:

[​IMG] - front passenger side

[​IMG] - front drivers side.

Assuming these are turbo hoses?

Is it likely that I'll just be able to put new jubilee clips on to stop this?
    Could this be why I've got a slight hesitation on acceleration? (Forgive me if I sound stupid - I'm fine with general service and stuff but after that I need teaching ha ha).

Thanks
  2. MrLapou

MrLapou Active Member

This is common. Needs, the clips undone, all oil residue cleaned off and degreased, then O ring re-seated or changed. As a precaution, I'd also use a liquid sealant (like Hydraulic sealant) to keep the hose from moving and leaking again.
  3. maffew

maffew Member

Excellent thanks, will do that. What are the hoses called? So I can get the correct O-Rings.
  4. A3_130

A3_130 Member

Had the same problem on my 8l A3 TDI recently where there was a slight boost leak at the intercooler boost pipe. Bought a new o ring from the dealer, cleaned up the join, replaced the o ring and all's good. Easy job.
  5. maffew

maffew Member

Sounds like a simple job - don't suppose you know the part numbers for these O-Rings?
    Need to get myself a Haynes Manual..
  6. A3_130

A3_130 Member

I don't sorry - yours will probably be slightly different as it's the newer shape A3. To do mine I just had a word with the dealer, he looked it up on the system and gave me a choice of 2 sizes - I measured my boost pipe to know which size I needed. Definitely get a Haynes - I use mine a lot.
  7. Mr. B

Mr. B English...not so good

I would love to know this as well, passenger side is doing the same. Are they called boost pipes?
  8. Jack_tdi

Jack_tdi Member

Iv changed mine.

Get your self down to your local audi dealer ship with you vin number.

Ask for boost pipe seals. The parts guy at Carlisle audi printed a exploded drawing of of the whole boost pipe work for the bkd engine and I could pick and choose what seals I wanted as well as pipes (the lugs on my pipe where knackered too so kept blowing off).

Here is a thread I started a while ago with pictures of the seals and pipes

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/159388-2-0-tdi-boost-problems-bkd-140-a.html
  9. maffew

maffew Member

Thanks Jack I need to go to Audi today anyway really as when I bought the car it only had one key - tried to get them to program a second (second hand one) - and it's resulted in it saying safe on the dashboard with my key!! So will pop into parts when I'm there and get some seals for the boost pipes.

Cheers :laugh:
  10. maffew

maffew Member

Got the two O-Rings from Audi, £3 a pop - will get that done tomorrow if it's a decent day.