turbo cuts out???

sean3794

Reaction score
im from coleraine, norn iron, but live near swindo
sometimes my turbo just cuts out the car still drives but no real power, usually bout 3000 rpm in 3rd or 4th, just randomly happens, i turn the ignition off and on and it works again, any body had this problem or know what it is? 53 plate 2.0 tdi:unsure:

sticking turbo vanes or actuator, happens all the time wi tdi's, look at my vnt turbo cleaning thread in the B5 A4 section mate.

it is usually limp mode caused by overboost which resets each time you start the engine. Stored code will be "inlet manifold pressure - control variation - intermittent" or something similar, theres lots of different ones for low, high or wrong boost.

Yep as above, i've used Innotec Turbo cleaner to clean the turbo on my car. If you want to do it yourself heres a how to guide i did
CLICKY

Look for a boost leak or map/thrust sensor is common. Usually you get sn air leak at the intercooler inlet or outlet connection cos standard pipes degrade

True it could be a number of things, best thing would be to get the car scanned and see what that throws up.

cool cheers for the info guys, ive just found out my mates wee cousin works on turbos so i think im going to knock on his door!!!! back from afghan this weekend so i will have to get some pics up of the car to show you all what a nice a3 looks like guys lol nearly wet myself with my comment haha