1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo cool down period?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Pontio, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Jan 17, 2005]
    Hello everybody, i have yet another question. as i have never owned a turbo car before i'd like to know should i let the car run for a little while at idle before switching it off after every journey to maintain the turbo?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Ade_D

Ade_D Member

[Jan 17, 2005]
    I drive mine slowly for a while before i arrive at the destination but if i don't or can't then i do usually run it on idle for a min or so before i turn the key off.
  4. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

[Jan 17, 2005]
    Wot ade sayd is good advice , if you have been hammering it give it more time , other than that prob about a 1min!
  5. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Jan 17, 2005]
    ok. cheers. i usually do that anyway, just wanted to see what others do.
  6. ianhg

ianhg Member

[Jan 17, 2005]
    in the vw manuel for my golf it recommends two mins after every trip, should be the same for the s3. i heard the tt had an oil pump that used to stay on for a bit after u turn the engine off to stop the oil getting cooked on the turbo shaft! might be the same on the s3
  7. imported_plexxi

imported_plexxi Guest

[Jan 17, 2005]
    You can hear the "after run" pump if you stay close to the grille after turning the ignition off. It runs for approx 5-10 min after each ignition off. It pumps coolant water though, so I guess it doesent hurt to let the oil circulate a bit befor tuning off the engine if it has been driven hard.
  8. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    Driving steady about 1 min

Driving hard about 2-3 mins.
  9. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 18, 2005]
    Yeah I leave the car idle for about 30 secs to 1 min before I switch her off. Anything that helps prolong the life of the turbo is welcomed!

Cheers
    rich.
  10. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    As said, the after run pump circulates water around the turbo body, not oil.

On classic subaru's there used to be a sticker on the inside door suggesting to leave the car at idle for 2mins following hard driving. I would suggest at least the same 2 mins plus. get a turbo timer!
  11. pinkys3

pinkys3 New Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    dont think he's on any forums mate, but Edition 38 is the best for info and help on any Golf stuff.
    Not seen a Mk.4 dash in one , Mk.4 Polo dashes go in tho.
    i can remember certain things he got stuck on.
    Emerald ECU's make sure its compatible with the immobiliser in the Mk.4 clocks , he managed to bypass that and run it in mk.1 GTI clocks.
    Intercoolers, get the best one possible , he used an iveco turbo daily one !!!
    Front shockers, due to the extra weight of the engine, he used mk.1 convertible koni's
    Drive shafts bending due to the torque !
    Only use cable change boxes out of a passat or G60.
    But it is one of the most mental things ive been in especially against a bently GT at around 160mph !!!
    I used to have a maxed out G60 Mk.2 and top end was very similar, immense torque, miles more than a S3 and a modded subaru . He'll love it to bits !!!
    If he does have any queries give us a shout and ill get him to mail ya.
  12. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    cheers. hes got 350hp out of the engine and is currently getting custom driveshafts made to take the power. fully adjustable suspension too.