Turbo / Boost Noise FIXED !

darko

Reaction score
after many, many weeks of trying to solve the strange sound on my car it is fixed ! the noise was like a boost leak when I was accelerating, happened in all gears with the car cold or hot - the garage had the car for a week and couldn't find it however, today i found it !

turned out to be a hose inside the wing ! where the airbox feeds through into the wing there should be a hose or something that feeds the intake towards the front of the car - mine seems to have gone missing.

I'll fire up the EPC later and grab a diagram to show people - I know there are quite a few people suffering with this and believe me short of taking the engine out of my car we had looked everywhere...

[ QUOTE ]
after many, many weeks of trying to solve the strange sound on my car it is fixed ! the noise was like a boost leak when I was accelerating, happened in all gears with the car cold or hot - the garage had the car for a week and couldn't find it however, today i found it !

turned out to be a hose inside the wing ! where the airbox feeds through into the wing there should be a hose or something that feeds the intake towards the front of the car - mine seems to have gone missing.

I'll fire up the EPC later and grab a diagram to show people - I know there are quite a few people suffering with this and believe me short of taking the engine out of my car we had looked everywhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

The plastic tube that connects induction box to hole in wing?

..sounds like someone had an aftermarket induction kit on at some point and forgot to refit.

Adam

yeah maybe, im not sure which part it is as its not there ! I had to remove the plastic wheel arch to get access to see what was going on - basically the airbox was just open into the cavity between the wing and the wheel arch, i put some foam in there and put it all back together and no noise ! will order up the part tomorrow or maybe do the mod that people do to feed a pipe straight from the front bumper to that pipe...

the noise sounded like the turbo was in my glovebox, like the sound of air escaping - it made me think i had a split turbo hose or a dv control problem. hard to describe but basically a hissing / wooshing as the turbo was boosting

my turbo whistels when im putting my foot down. doesnt sound like its coming from inside the car though..
Do you think its anything to be worried about or normal? i have never owned a turbo before so its all new to me..

[ QUOTE ]
yeah maybe, im not sure which part it is as its not there ! I had to remove the plastic wheel arch to get access to see what was going on - basically the airbox was just open into the cavity between the wing and the wheel arch, i put some foam in there and put it all back together and no noise ! will order up the part tomorrow or maybe do the mod that people do to feed a pipe straight from the front bumper to that pipe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, sounds like it. Plastic pipe thingy, can imagine induction noise would be a lot louder without it!

Def worth having though, engine bays on these cars get hot so a decent cold feed is important.

Adam

all turbo cars whistle a bit, mine (S3) was crazy though - you could hear it over the radio ! I can proudly say I have always owned turbo cars so i knew it wasnt right.. i can now hear the turbo but only just, a distant whistle like it should be - you wouldnt notice it unless you were listening out for it

I have the same noise, changed the hoses, DV etc and there is no boost leak just a wierd noise (not turbo) ill have to check that out. Mine sounds like someone blowing over the top of an empty bottle!

nervus - I have definitely heard people describe something in exactly the same way "blowing over a bottle" but can't remember what their problem was...
I think it may have been DV related, but one person mentioned that it was their exhaust and it had a split in it.
Might be worth a search on "bottle" and "blowing" through forums

[ QUOTE ]
I have the same noise, changed the hoses, DV etc and there is no boost leak just a wierd noise (not turbo) ill have to check that out. Mine sounds like someone blowing over the top of an empty bottle!

[/ QUOTE ]

Knackered DVs can make 'moo' noises ... anything like that?

A

Ill try a search. Its definately not the DV as it still the smae with the forge DV and new bosch one. It only does it in a high gear low revs say 6th at 50mph.

The noise fades as the car accelarates then dissapears with a hiss around 4.5 - 5K revs!

It doesnt occur if im in the right gear for maximum accelaration