Tuneable Audi's vs the world

neiloneilo

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Having been a member now for over a month I'm learning how much we can do to further tune our cars.

I have a few questions I'd like to raise for discussion;

1) When chipping how much extra strain is there on the engine/car?

2) How much can it affect the resale price?

3) What can enthusiasts of rival manufactures do to tune their cars?
ie can they simply remap their ECU for 50bhp?

I had a quick look on some forums but couldn't find much.

Found this one a little amusing focus vs A4

Any Turbo car is tuneable in pretty much the same way.

1. Some

2. Depends who you sell it to.

3. Lots

1. The Audi engine is strong. The turbos can handle the added boost up to a point. With the added boost it is more critical to keep an eye on them and to be good to them. This means to get a boost/vacuum gauge to monitor spikes and overall boost. It also means to let the turbo(s) cool down - you need to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes after hard driving; a turbo timer works well for these cases.

2. A chip theoretically does not affect the resale price at all. In fact, many sellers believe that mods like a chip should command a higher price. Still others (primarily buyers) will say that a chip has put undue strain on the engine and the price should be lower. Both camps are wrong. Mods do not affect the price - look at used car dealer prices on the cars with mods. If the car is so severely modified that it cannot be described as "stock" at all, then a seller may ask for more money.

3. Many American cars are seeing a growth in ecu modifications. Japanese cars have had remaps available for a while. Of course the supercharger and turbocharger mod options have always been available - and many aftermarket companies are expanding their products to include these options. The Japanese cars have seen the greatest growth in mod options. There are 10 second JDM cars out there now! Their market has exploded because the cars are cheap and the mods are easy to install. Therefore, demand has been at an extreme for some years. Bottom line: There will always be someone out there with a faster car.

Thanks guys.

I noticed on some other forums, people get all excited about a 5bhp increase, I suppose they can when their cars are so much lighter!

By how much do you guys find your insurance goes up once you start chipping?

5hp isnt an increase, its a difference in conditions on a rolling road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Only believe those kind of differences if they are done back-to-back

Rich