Tts/tt 3.2 vs s3

Leeseager

Reaction score
Hello all,

Have been considering investing in a s3 or a TTS.

All i wanted to know really is, what are the general running costs.. Services, tyres ect? Not worried about MPG.

Also what are the common problems, is there anything i should look out for?

Can't comment on the S3 side of things but for the TTS I'd imagine everything is pretty much the same. Only real difference in them being S3 has more space in it.

Tyres will depend on what size of wheels you get but a decent set of tyres in 19or18" will be around £120ish each.
Service wise I can't really comment on as I have 2 years free servicing included when I got the car.

Common problems with TTS are squeaky brakes in pre-facelift models (Audi don't see it as an issue and refuse to repair, recommend full new brake system at over £1k)
Other things such as Window Regulators seem to be rather common on the mk2, I believe its a cheap enough fix but the windows just drop and you can do ****** all with them until its sorted. For more info on the TTS best to head to the TTForum.co.uk as theres more info on there

I've owned the last iteration of the S3 (3 years from new) and then traded that for a TTS (2 years from new), so here's my TPW.

Costs? My 8P S3 was a manual and the TTS an S tronic. I only mention that as the S tronic in that car used more fuel. Running costs? Not the same! Far from it! The TTS, as stated, used a lot more fuel, especially when you drove it hard. I used to average around 33mpg in the S3, in the TTS, more like 28. Insurance, the TTS was around 25% more expensive. Tyres? I had 19" alloys on the TTS, but then the standard fit 18's for that car are still shod with wider rubber than the S3's 18 inch rims. So, you're looking at around a grand for tyres and just over half that for the S3. Servicing, the TTS was again more expensive, which always struck me as odd, given it's pretty much the same car underneath. To buy, well the TTS will cost you more but the S3 held it's value batter when I traded. In fact, it retained 60% after three years and 45k, versus the TTS at 55% after 2years and 58k.

Problems? Not many really. Squeaky brakes - yep, had that on both cars and in both cases, rectified by twisting Audi's arm to replace the pads under warranty I would add! A really bad misfire on the S3 was a problem that Audi took ages to fix for me (four times it went in before they fixed it). Rattling windows on the S3 was a constant issue until I discovered how to fix it (Audi never managed to sort it out). With the TTS I found the tracking would get knocked out quite a lot, never really sure why the S3 didn't suffer the same problem...

To drive? The mag ride on the TTS made the handling very inconsistent and IMO spoilt the car a bit. The TTS was the faster car of the two and made the better noises, but the S3 handled better, probably something to do with the mag ride? I dunno, but I had more confidence with the S3 and its ride was way better. The S3 attracted far less attention on the road and the TTS definitely promoted the green eyed monster in people - it was after all a very nice looking car (mine was a black edition in glacier white with titanium finish alloys). I used to find **** heads trying to race me all the time, people not letting you out in traffic, etc. Never really got that when in the S3.

Day to day use? The TTS was surprisingly practical if you don't of course need the rear seats. I used to get all my fishing gear in, no problems at all. The S3 actually has quite a small boot and even with the seats folded, actually has hardly any more space than the TTS, albeit, in the TTS you lose height space, if that makes sense. There was also the Elephant in the Room with the TTS - hairdresser jokes and such like did bore me a bit and it was a tad boring to drive.

Conclusion? Both great cars, but IMO, the S3 edges it. It is cheaper to run, almost as fast, a little more practical (you can have passengers!) and is subtle in a good way. Don't get me wrong, I loved my TTS, but it didn't rock my boat like the S3 did. The S3 was simply better to drive, but I suppose on reflection, didn't always feel a special as the TTS. But that wasn't really too important to me. I went on to get a TTRS, which I would say was a bit of a mistake, as the premium I paid over the TTS was hard to justify for what you got. Now in a new S3 and happy again... hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Compkiler
Can only comment on the S3 but info may be of use to you!

Currently own an 8V chassis S3 and have had since new in early 2014. Haven't had any issues as of yet and have done considerable mileage so far. Second service at 20k is due in a few months. Have had an issue with the tracking around 11k but was sorted quickly at no cost. If you don't get a service plan with the vehicle, an oil change will cost around £180 and is pretty much a definite requirement on your first service. A three fixed service or 50K service plan will cost around £1,200 for an S3 if bought direct from a dealer. Obviously that will change but it will likely be in that ball park if your looking to get a plan instead of paying per service.

Have just had to get new tyres all round, rears seem to wear just as evenly and as quickly as the fronts, probably a little more on the fronts but was hardly noticeable if so. The lot cost me just shy of £550 all in, I'm running 18" wheels and went for mid-high range tyres. As far as day to day costs like fuel, I usually average around 28-33 mpg, depending on circumstance. I do have the S-Tronic box and compared to my previous S3 which was a manual, it is a little more hungry, but not much.

Did have a leak in the fuel line not long ago, took the car in for a comp health check and got them to look at this while there and was diagnosed and fixed under warranty. Have a friend with the same vehicle chassis who also had this issue but haven't heard of any others. Have a feeling my tracking is on the way out again, so this may be a problem like the old TT's use to have, but I do live in an area that is littered with dodgy speed bumps and potholes...

Ride quality is pretty good, nice and comfy through the corners at normal speeds and feels very planted and responsive when you get your speed up a bit. Drive Select does a pretty good job with the steering and suspension to be fair, using the individual setting is a nice touch to customise the feel of the drive. Haven't had any issues with the auto box at all, works well sat in traffic creeping forward without any lurching, although some people have mentioned this if your a little light on the brakes when in traffic, but you get use to the car and the box of course!

Last edited: