1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT short shift for a3t ??

ooooaudi Feb 24, 2003

1. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

on the previous site i seem to remember there being a thread
    on swaping a linkage on the gearbox of a a3 for a TT item - giving a shorter shift throw ??
    anyone know the part number or any info would help !!

matt

2. Drill

Drill Member

Yeah, done it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Give me a bit to see if I can find up the old stuff. Btw, you got a 5-speed, right?

Costa, you out there?!?

3. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    matt said:
    on the previous site i seem to remember there being a thread
    on swaping a linkage on the gearbox of a a3 for a TT item - giving a shorter shift throw ??
    anyone know the part number or any info would help !!

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good, me want some too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Drill

Drill Member

OK Guys, keep your shirts on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif Here's what I know, the TT 5-speed tranny linkage does, in fact, directly replace that of the A3, shortening shift throw by approx. 20% It's a DIY job, took me about 30 minutes, but that's mainly cause I had problems getting the ball-joints to separate. As for the 20% reduction, that's someone elses measurement, but I CAN say that it shortens the throw enough to notice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif For the first couple of days I kept having to double check each time I shifted, cause it didn't feel like I was in gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But I'm glad I did it. Not to mention the fact that it only cost me 8 Euros (UK prices will, naturally, differ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

XXX1.8T first brought this to our attention, however, the original link, I have lost. Therefore I'm PM'ing Costa to see if he still has it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

5. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

yeah, its a 98 a3 1.8ts

6. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

im here guys for pre 2000 cars the part no. is 8NO 711 051

with post 2000 same part no just add an A on the end

I reccommend the mod as its a bargain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

7. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

8. Drill

Drill Member

Here's the original link that got us looking into it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

9. Thorneyold

Thorneyold Member

If anyone wants to try this I still have an B&M shifter for a TT which reduces the throw by a further 40%.

Currently sitting in AMD's office - make me an offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

will this fit my a3 ??

11. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

And with an additional 40% how the hell do you tell if you have it in gear or not?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif