TT Mk 2 Parcel shelf problem

prt57

Reaction score
We have a TT coupe from 2008 and the other day the parcel shelf collapsed due to the really flimsy design of the support brackets that attach to the C pillar.
On examination, one side had been glued before so I went to Audi for a price fitted.
After a discount of £9.00 the total price was going to be a staggeringly £350.00!!!
After considerable thought and an hour in B &Q I worked out that the repair could be done with the coarse thread metal plasterboard fixings into the holes in the C pillar and then carefully drilled holes in the brackets for the screws and washers to spread the load. You have to drill out the holes left by the plastic lugs in the C pillar too. You need to climb into the boot area to make sure you drill at the correct angle and to screw the brackets on squarely. To do a totally none visible repair you can only use the middle and forward mountings but I have to say that they are more than strong enough compared to the original. To make sure the screws do not loosen I put threadlock on the screw threads.
Total cost less than £5.00 and a couple of careful hours to do the job. After you have sussed out how to do one side the other only takes about 30 mins.