1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT engine number?

Discussion in 'TT/TT-S/TT-RS Forum' started by johnmv55, Jan 15, 2006.

1. johnmv55

johnmv55 Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    My son is interested in a Mk 2 Golf GTI fitted with a TT "APX" code engine, I have looked and cannot find the engine number, can anybody point me in the right direction please? along the lines of " look between this and that?" Thanks in advance, I really don't want him to end up with a car fitted with a stolen engine!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    Sorry I can't remember where mine was. But a question for you. Once you've seen the number, how will you know if it's stolen or not? It's obviously not the original engine so HPI etc won't help.
  4. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sorry I can't remember where mine was. But a question for you. Once you've seen the number, how will you know if it's stolen or not? It's obviously not the original engine so HPI etc won't help.

[/ QUOTE ]

The engine number should have been changed on the log book when it was fitted. If it was from a stolen car it would have flagged up at the DVLA when it was changed that it was from a stolen car.
  5. Silversea

Silversea Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    The engine number is really hard to see. The number can be found on the very last vertical web on the engine block. This is where the gearbox bolts onto the block (about the 2 O'clock position). From memory it is behind the oil supply pipe.
  6. johnmv55

johnmv55 Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    Thanks for the replies, they'll help a lot, on the "how will I know if it's stolen once I find the number" I was hoping maybe the number would have been messed with or removed, or a quick
    " You don't mind if I check the engine number with DVLA do you?" should bring some kind of response from the present owner, I'm suspicious due to the fact he does'nt seem to have a receipt for the TT engine...............i'm sure I would have made sure I had one, also it's not changed in the logbook either which is quite worrying.
  7. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Guest

[Jan 15, 2006]
    personally id stear clear there are plenty of other golfs out there to choose from, my motto has always been if i have any doubt about a car walk away, let us all know the out come as may be helpful for others
  8. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    Definately steer clear if your in any doubt. Always worth doing an HPI check as well.
  9. Silversea

Silversea Member

[Jan 15, 2006]
    If it is on a week day, contact your local Stolen Car Squad, they'll do a check on the engine number but be prepared to "spill the beans" if it turns out to be hooky. You had better thoroughly check out that the details match before you buy as if your son gets pulled by the Traffic Police they will check it out for sure and you'll stand to loos alot of cash when it turns out to be stolen.
    Many of the stolen S3's and TT's etc get turned into "Spares" and many end up in Golfs and Corrado's etc.
    Take a small mirror and decent torch with you to check the number out, as mentioned, it is really difficult to see but it is or "Should" be there.
    Good Luck with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  10. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[Jan 17, 2006]
  11. johnmv55

johnmv55 Member

[Jan 17, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is this the same one?

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/sho...;gonew=1#UNREAD

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, the very same, enough said if I say it's still for sale? (not because of the engine number) more because he keeps changing his mind on why he's selling it after 2 months, and the varying engine mileage depending on which ad you read it from!!
    Oh, I should also add we have seen another one conveted by Stealth Racing, now, I don't know a great deal about Stealth, but to be fair the installation was very neat and also looked "factory" to be honest.