TT and S3, differences.

pure

Reaction score
Borrowed a 225 TT Roadster today, it's an 04 plate. My S3 is a 53 plate.

When driving it I noticed that the gear box, clutch and brakes feel drastically different. I thought that these parts were the same (or very similar) on both cars.

Can anyone confirm this at all?

The brakes feel much better and stop the car quicker, maybe it could be the extra weight the S3 carries or the fact the S3 is chipped.

The clutch is smoother and feels easier to operate. Same with the gears.

I've really enjoyed driving this TT today to be honest, bout wouldn't swap. Just wondering what you guys think.

Cheers

Greg

Back in the S3 now, much nice car, although harder to drive, it feels tougher, like she can handle some stick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
The brakes feel much better and stop the car quicker, maybe it could be the extra weight the S3 carries or the fact the S3 is chipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, have you checked the respective weights? Does an S3 really weigh more than a TTR - don't forget that a TTR is heavier than a TTC...

I had a TT the other day but with a 5 speed box and it felt nice. Handling was crap as it was a front wheel drive 150, but brakes felt very positive........this could be because of the weight but.

As soon as I got back in mine, the grin on my face re-appeared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:

As soon as I got back in mine, the grin on my face re-appeared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha yeah same, you forget how much faster a chipped and modded car is over the standard stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I thought all TT's were 4wd, and that power was either 180 or 225?
Nope - I see what you mean - there is a non-quattro 150 roadster, and also some 180, non-quattro models, and even a 225 non-quattro. Yuck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

The UK only sold the 180 and 225 in Quattro for a number of years as they wanted to sell it as a sports car even though the recent lower powered and non quattro models have been out for a number of years outside the UK.

They only started to sell the other models as the present TT is coming to the end of its life before getting replaced.......well that is what I was told when I worked for Audi HQ

TTR unladen weight is 1515 kgs
S3 unladen weight is 1420 kgs

In comparison, the new A3 3.2 with DSG is 1525 kgs

Dunc

Do you have the TTC weight to hand.

Had a little straight line race with the GF last night TTC 225 Q, mines only 210. She couldn't pull away, so I'm guessing I moved through the gears better. Afterwards she claimed, she could have gone faster.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yeah but on the rollers yours was producing more power that standard if I recall correctly, and wasn't far off mine and dans chipped examples. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

According to Audi its:

TTC 225 Unladen weight (kg) 1410

and anyway the 225 to 210 equates to no difference on the road - I know people who have owned both (S3s) and say they can feel no difference whatsoever

Dunc

I was hitting 171bhp @ the wheels, it's that rare NJ75 C valve I have fitted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Did you have the TTR on a sunny day? It's always gona feel a great drive with the top down. (just like anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know people who have owned both (S3s) and say they can feel no difference whatsoever

[/ QUOTE ]
I know I don't notice much difference in power when driving.

aye had it yesterday it was [censored] it down in the morning, thn nice n sunny in the afternoon. I've even caught the sun a lil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif lol

Actually it was to complete with new lower priced rivals such as the RX-8 starting at 20K

Had a TTR 150 before ordering my and it wasn't bad at all, not much slower than the 180bhp Quattro and about £5K cheaper! No $WD hardware to lug around and a bigger boot as well!

Plus less transmission loses. The 150TTR and also the 180TTC and not much slower than the 180TTRQ and the 225TTCQ respectively.