Truly annoying rattle

landopanda

Reaction score
Hi, my car is making a very annoying rattle every time the n/s rear goes over a bump. It is a metal on metal type sound as apposed to a bang. i have had it up on the rapms given everything a good shake but cant recreate the noise when not on the road. had the arb link arm replaced, and new springs so pretty sure its neither of thoes. Does anyone have any ideas, its getting really annoying. Only really heard when the windows are down. Any help would be great.

have a look at the bearings in the front shock mounts
these can rattle quite badly

how would i do that? could it be the rear shock mounts, because it only comes from the back end on the left side.

Must be something to do with the rear shock mounts, ARBs or bushes... I had the same before on my previous A3 and got a mechanic to sort it out with new mounts and ARB bushes on the back.

Assume you've put it on ramp with load rather than lifting on the body, so you can see if anythings touching or close to touching when body weight is on the suspension.

I'd get someone to stand in the boot & jump up & down to see if it recreates the problem, try lifting on ramp 1st of course

Tie rods were common thing on fronts

yeah its been on the ramp with load. we (myself and the mechanic) have checked everything we could think of, everything is where it should be and solid, so im very confused, he suggested that it could be something loose in the chassis? other than that i have no idea, but it is really quite loud which is making me slightly concerned.

I doubt its chassis, I really do doubt it, I would be leaning to a bush on a fixing tbh, check again mate as bushes are synonymously a pain in the ****.

right, ive been in the boot jumping up and down like a madman, but it doesnt make the rattle, pushed down all four corners and no noise either. I dont think its any of the suspension, any other ideas?

ARB bushes are common and wishbone bushes these will produce a rattle mine has started doing it so will be getting mine replaced lol

After reading some posts on here about brake pads, i checked mine and it turns out they were rattling insisde the calliper. Had some copper grese put on them and no more rattle...whey!:rockwoot:

After reading some posts on here about brake pads, i checked mine and it turns out they were rattling insisde the calliper. Had some copper grese put on them and no more rattle...whey!:rockwoot:

Yes bang on you just reminded me. When my pads where quite low they rattled around so i went mental and did a full conversion lol front and back.

Glad you found what it was - :think: I was going to suggest exhaust / heat shield - I've never heard of that before with the brakes, learnt something new today so I'll sleep easy tonight!!!

Cheers.

Damn didnt even think of that tbh as not heard that to many times on the rears, fronts yes as I have that on mine but rears no, well glad sorted & even the smallest gap movement makes the noise huh, looks like got a greasing job to do on fronts this weekend.

Damn, i was going to say rattling brake pads but got beaten to it.

It happened on my previous car when i lost a spring clip thing that holds the pads in place. Looks like the back ones don't have then on the S3 though?