1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubles with car

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by sam4191, Oct 5, 2009.

1. sam4191

sam4191 If In doubt, Flat out!

Hi guys, me again...:think:

I think it's one of those times.... my car seems to be falling apart.

To keep things quick;

N/S/R Wheel bearing is on its way out (hard left hand cornering, it rumbles)
    N/S/R Handbrake non-existent... possible caliper problems?
    Rear subframe bushes chirping? LOL!

Basically, does anyone know what these jobs are like to do (i.e. Me being a sort of non-confident trainee mechanic, should I attack it or let someone who knows what they're doing do it lol)??

Thanks guys
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

The handbrake and bearing could be related.

If the caliper is seized it could cause the disk to overheat, which would cook the bearings.

Alternativley, lots of play in the bearing will knock the caliper piston back, and that will mean the handbrake requires more travel to work.

Is your car a quattro?
  3. sam4191

Other people have said the caliper could be sticking, but the disk is the normal colour (not red) and would i not feel a slight un-evenness under hard braking?

No, unfortunately its FWD. =( lol. Do you know where you adjust the handbrake please?
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

The reason i asked about quattro is that FWD A4's dont have rear subframes....

Might be the rear axle bushes that are shot though, or possibly the top mounts?

Handbrake cable adjusters are about half way along the cables, under the rear heatshield just in front of the rear axle. They're crazy things though, so a haynes manual to work out how they go together would be useful. I have to say though, if its one side and the cable doesnt seem slack the caliper has probably siezed.

Have a look if the handbrake mechanism moves when you pull the handbrake on...
  5. sam4191

Oh right. lol! Sorry, would be the rear axle bushes then. I also am pretty sure the top mounts are nakerd. They clonk every now and again. Need to bring up the courage to do them! lol!

Right, I have just bought a haynes manual on the bay, so will be armed with that soon. =D

I will check that out when it's next dry. doesnt seem to have stopped raining for the last 2 days here. lol.

Thanks for your help once again mate!