Troubles with Brembo GT JNR calipers...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
My 01 plate S3 came with the Brembo upgrade,
Ive never been overly happy with them but came to terms with how they worked...
Yesterday as part of the Pre MOT i checked the pads... Jesus ! ****** all left.
So i called at a local motor factors and just picked up what i could get... Pagid standards
When i started to remove the pads i noticed the inside pads on both sides of the car were TIGHT,
I managed to get them out and cleaned up the little bits of what look like spring steel thats screwed to the caliper body and fitted the new pads... the difference is massive !
can i get replacement shims?
Is this a common problem?

I know my callipers arent jnrs but they are brembo none the less. I had issues when fitting a brand new disc and brand new pads at the same time as they were just too tight. I have to change the disc and the pads at seperate intervals if possible.

I looked to buy new shims but they weren't that cheap so I just prized of the old ones and bought some high temp glue to fix them to the pads.

My 01 plate S3 came with the Brembo upgrade,

Was there an option to upgrade the brakes to Brembo from factory?

I always assumed every 8L S3 that was made came with the standard crappy cheese calipers.

Its not a factory upgrade as such, it was fitted at the Audi dealers from the paperwork that came with the car,

What actually happens is the calipers corrode underneat the sliders, forcing the sliders up, and causing the pads to seize.
You need to remove the sliders (and this is a nightmare to do), clean off the corrosion, and re-fit