Traffic Sign Recognition.

A2A6

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2011 A8 3.0 TDi SE Exec which has the full Lane Assist, Side Assist, Adaptive Cruise, front/rear impact pre-sense system. The car was bought off forecourt so I was unable to alter the spec and unfortunately it didn't have the Traffic Sign Recognition System (this displays the last "seen" speed limit as a symbol in the DIS).

From my research so far I've established that all the hardware is available as it uses the same camera which provides info for the lane assist function. My dealer has looked into this and connected the car to download the appropriate SVM (software version module?) but at the end of the process it fails saying that this option is not fitted to the car.

Apparently, the "big computer" in Germany knows the exact spec of each vehicle as it came off the production line and therefore will not allow software modules to be loaded which are not part of the original spec. Also, the cars spec on the German computer cannot be tweaked to sayit is fitted thus allowing download and activation of the module, although retrofitting some items i.e. cruise control does exactly this.

This is hugely frustrating as the TS Recognition is a great add on (and it's only £150 on a new car so why it isn't fitted as standard with the full "safety pack" is beyond me). I've read on other forums that people have played around with VAGCOM with limited but unsuccessful outcomes.

So, anybody out there who's achieved a successful activation. Are my dealers honest when they say that it really can't be done? Why can the spec be updated for some retrofit modes but not others?

I plan to contact Audi Head Office as I think there's just a bit of ****** mindedness going on - its just a software module and a tick in a box to say the cars got it! And I'm willing to pay!

Thanks in advance for any info.

A2A6

Yes it would appear same camera is used for all the drive assistance programs, also the control unit is the same for these functions, so it must be a coding option, is this the beginning of the license revolution for features in new cars I wonder.

Thing is if vcds now has label files for the newer modules anyway, depending where you are mate, I'd be willing to have a look at it to see if we can see anything & also if no files are avalable we could send them of to ross-tech to create them.

Interesting. I do have a Genuine Ross-Tech cable but I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about bu66ering up my A8!!

Presumably there are potential warranty issues too if I "DIY" a module?

Paul

No warranty issues at all mate thus far anyway.

No one AFAIK has cracked the traffix sign recognition coding, several experts on another forum have drawn a blank.

- 17 Instruments, Long Coding, Byte 05, Bit 2 on
- 8E Image Processing, Long Coding, Byte 02, Bit 0 on
- MMI Hidden Menu: car/cardevicelist, VZE on
- MMI Hidden Menu: car/carmenuoperation, VZE => 5

HOWEVER - all that is displayed is Speed Limit - "out of operational area".

Last edited: